Author Topic: Marriage of Robert Johnston and Catherine Mossman 1864  (Read 2455 times)

Offline levley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Robert Johnston and Catherine Mossman 1864
« on: Thursday 21 May 15 05:26 BST (UK) »
From the marriage certificate of Isabella Johnstone to James Cuthbert. I have Isabella's parents Robert Johnston and Catherine Mossman.
I think that I have found their marriage 9th Dec.1864 in Edrom, Berwick. I also think I found them in the 1881 census Robert born 1839 Catherine born 1843 plus six children.
I would like to know their parents but have not been able to get their certificate. Suggestions.

Regards  levley

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Robert Johnston and Catherine Mossman 1864
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 15 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Levley ,

Scotlandspeople has the death of a Catherine Johnston(other surname Mossman) 1904 Ladykirk Berwick , born c 1842.

Not sure if you have looked at that one ?

The 1864 marriage certificate should give you the names of both sets of parents -
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTLH-49H

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 15 06:19 BST (UK) »
Catherine birthplace is given as Eccles Berwickshire on the 1881 Census which may match up with -

http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=73203002

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYLM-H7J

Hopefully the death cert.(or 1864 marriage cert.) will confirm the above.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Levley,
The following from familysearch.org is possibly your Catherine. Christened 18th June 1841, Eccles; Parents were Alexander Mossman and Mary Winter. This is available from the parish records online at scotlands people. These records don't always give much information. Sometimes they recorded the actual birth date and where the parents lived but this is not always the case.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline levley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 May 15 00:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both, I will follow up on these records. They certainly fit.  I have the Johnstone's with a daughter Mary and a son Alexander.So feel I have the right family now.
I am a bit surprised that when I looked for the marriage in Scotlands People, it come up no match.

Regards  levley

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 May 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Levley,
The marriage is definitely there as I have just checked using on the free search for Johnston Robert; Mossman Catherine at Edrom 1864 in the Statutory Records not the Parish Records.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline levley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 May 15 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hello excel,
I found it on Familysearch with the extra information, so  went back to Scotlands People and there it was!!! So I now have the marriage certificate.And the Mossman family tree from Familysearch.
Thank you so much for your help.

Regards levley.