Author Topic: Gloucester Pilots (River Severn)  (Read 13904 times)

Offline Alex_Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester Pilots (River Severn)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 October 05 20:21 BST (UK) »
I have collected a lot of data on licensed Gloucester pilots and Samuel Bush does not seem to have been one of them. He is possibly one of the unofficial pilots who were said to have been around at that time.

Alex
Wood, Aucterless, ABD
Milne, Aberdeen, ABD
Williams, Newnham, Gatcombe(Lydney),Berkeley, GLS
Johnstone, Rerrick, KKD
Johnstone, Gloucester, GLS
Johnstone, Lancaster, LAN
Stevens, Trowbridge, WIL

Offline Dimeryone

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 August 06 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Have an ancestor Thomas Dimery born 1857 Berkeley Gls. who was a pilot on the river Severn at Sharpness Docks and on the Sharpness Gloucester Canal.

The family also married into a family of Lock keepers on the above canal.

Rich
Dimery,Demery,Demmery - Gloucestershire, Leeds, Herefordshire, London, Wales, Canada, USA, New Zealand & Austrialia.
Lowe, Lamb, Scanlon, Horan- County Durham
Gazard, Fryer, Browning - Gloucestershire
Mundy - Gloucestershire, Wales and further afield!!
Grice - Herefordshire
Skinner, Cox - Bristol, Devon
Organ - Gloucestershire, England (in General) & Austrailia

Offline Barbara1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any ancestors who were Gloucester Pilots in the 19th Century?

Alex_Wood
Yes I have several from the same family. Jeremiah Speck born Minsterworth in 1808.  Before taking on the roll of Pilot, he joined the Royal Marines, and was based in Plymouth, 55th Company. He served on Windsor Castle; Bustard; and Mersey. His son John Speck ( my Gt Grand Father)  was also a Pilot, and lived in Gloucester.   Jeremiah also had another son, also called Jeremiah. I think he was a canal pilot too, but not totally sure. He did though go to sea, and also worked at Gloucester Docks.   Hope this is of interest :)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
If anyone is interested in Gloucester Registration Authority Canal Boat Registrations, 1879-1952, please post here.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if Alex is still interested in knowing if members have Channel Pilots as ancestors but I have at least 8 Smith family members that followed this profession based in the Berkeley and Sharpness areas.  My step grandfather was also a first officer and then Captain on the Waverley and Brighton Belle paddle steamers that made trips to France as well as trips from Bristol to Weymouth, Brighton and other south coast places.

Elizabeth

Offline Jane Hurle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 May 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a Bristol Channel pilot from around 1884. He retired in 1937 aged 75. Born in Saul 1862.Married twice.Second marriage was in 1897 to Constance Smith.Their youngest child of 9 children ( two died as babies ) was my mother Alice.Any further info would be appreciated.I have been told that his boat was the Veritas.

Offline Jane Hurle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 May 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry but in my haste I forgot to give the name of my grandfather
Ambrose Aldridge.His father Charles was also a pilot

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

We are researching the same family except my family connection is through Ambrose Aldridge's first marriage to Amanda Smith while yours is through his second wife Constance Smith.  I have not researched Constance and her line any further back to see if she is connected to my Smith family.  She probably is but further back in time.  Have you gone back through her family and are able to make the connection (if any)?

Elizabeth

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Just checked my tree and I seem to have Constance Smith's father in twice as he does belong to the family I am researching.  This is a problem when a cousin marries another cousin when it is not realised they are cousins.  I shall merge the duplicate records and then it will all become clear.

Charles's parents were Daniel Smith and Elizabeth Jones (according to my reaserch) and he was one of eleven children.  They seemed to go in for large familes as I already have so many Smiths listed.