Author Topic: De Renzy/ De Renzi name in West Riding, Yorkshire  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Stephen Gamble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
De Renzy/ De Renzi name in West Riding, Yorkshire
« on: Thursday 21 May 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have an unusual name in my Robinson family tree - De Renzy. The individual is my great grandfather, William Alford Robinson's brother, Hugh De Renzy Robinson (1891-1917). Hugh died of his wounds in a hospital during WW1. Having extensively researched the family back to the eighteenth century (they appear to have come from Scarborough, North Yorkshire), I find no other person with this name, De Renzy. The Robinsons moved to Leeds from Scarborough in about the 1820s. Many baptisms and marriages at Leeds St Peter, etc. Professions: weaver, taylor, draper, brick maker, letterpress printer, etc. I have looked up the De Renzy name and found at Leeds (chaplain of the gaol), Reverend George Binks De Renzi, born in Ireland. I have no idea if he is related but would be interested in contacting any of this name or variation, who have Robinson as a surname in their tree. Posted 21 May 2015.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: De Renzy/ De Renzi name in West Riding, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 15 23:32 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see if the name De Renzy comes from the mother's line?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
They seem determined to use the name:

Birth June quarter 1888  Hugh de Renzy Knaresbro   9a  106
Death June quarter 1889 Hugh de Renzy  age 1  Knaresbro

Birth September quarter 1890  Hugh de Renzy  Knaresbro  9a  90

Offline Stephen Gamble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 May 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chempat for your kind suggestions. Yes, I looked through the female lines as far as I had researched them (not all researched by any means) and could find no instance of De Renzy surname. The births and a death you cite are relevant. One is Hugh De Renzy who died in 1917 of wounds caused by fighting in WW1. The other Hugh De Renzy, I didn't know about. The children of William Robinson and Sarah Ann Robinson (nee Batty) were born at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.

Offline Stephen Gamble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Since my last message, I have found that there is in fact one other individual on my Robinson family tree that has the name, albeit slightly varied. He is Percy Derenzy Iles (born Leeds, 29 March 1890; bapt. Leeds St George 4 May 1890 - ref. baptism RDP62/4, page 19, Leeds St George parish register). He is found in the 1891 and 1911 census for Leeds, living with his parents. They were Eva Maria Iles (nee Rathby, b.1865), and William H. Isles (born ca.1862). Eva Maria's parents were Harriet Rathby (nee Robinson, b.Hunslett, Leeds, 1842) and George Rathby (b. Ulceby, Lincolnshire, 1841). Harriet's father was George Robinson (b.Scarborough, 1812-d.Leeds, 1881), my great great great grandfather on my father's mother's father's side. Harriet's mother was Esther (maiden name not known, possibly Hodgson), born ca.1813, who married George but I have not found a marriage document. My guess is the De Renzy/ Derenzy,name came from George Robinson's family, in one of the female lines on either side - maternal or paternal. It is a very rare name in the UK and found in Ireland from the early 1600s. Before that, Europe.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
On freebmd: Birth September 1854 DeRenzi    Arthur    Hunslet    9b   213
                   Marriage September 1915 DeRenzi    Agnes M L    De Renzy    Wolstanton    6b   264
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Stephen Gamble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Brian, for finding these two De Renzy names in Yorkshire records. The Hunslet one looks like it is related (and maybe both are in some way) - Harriet Robinson (b.Hunslet, Leeds, 1842), a daughter of my grt grt grt grandfather (George Robinson, 1812-1881), had a grandson mentioned above - Percy Derenzy Iles (b.Leeds, 29 March 1890).

Offline Stephen Gamble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Found another - Arthur De Rinzi Robinson (1900-1918), born Manchester, Lancs. Mentioned on an Imperial War Museum WW1 web page in association with "Find My Past". He can't be a son of my grt grandfather, William Robinson, and his second wife, Sarah Ann, because he died in 1897, and she remarried.
I also found in The Scarborough Gazette Directory of 1905, under section for West Ayton, and sub-section "Gentry, etc."  "Mrs De Renzy, Prospect House". Scarborough is where I have found my earliest Robinsons in the 18th century.
A Reverend George De Renzy was for a short time, 29 May 1853 to June 1854, curate at Haworth,  and knew the Bronte family of literary fame. He later performed divine service in the District National School, Mount Street, Bradford, in 1861, according to "Directory and Topography of the Borough of Bradford, The towns of Keighley, Bingley, Dewsbury, and Heckmondwike...by William White...Sheffield", page 453.

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
There's some Derenzy's from the Scarborough area who appear to have connections to The East India Company, a name which features strongly in the line is Annesley Charles Derenzy.

For instance: 
Annesley Charles Cartriot
Last name    De Renzy
Age    41
Birth year    1851
Burial year    1892
Burial date    05 Mar 1892
Burial place    Flamborough

ANNESLEY CHARLES C, DE RENZY married either Mary Darley FLIGG or Eleanor Ann Reed
Dec qrt 1886, Scarborough 9d 593

Lots of records for different generations using the names Annesley, Charles and Castriot.