Author Topic: De Renzy/ De Renzi name in West Riding, Yorkshire  (Read 5445 times)

Offline Stephen Gamble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: De Renzy/ De Renzi name in West Riding, Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Libby9 for posting information about further Derenzy/ De Renzy names in Yorkshire. Sorry I became sidetracked from West Yorkshire to North Yorkshire. They moved about quite a lot! I have made a note of these indviduals for further research. Good to hear that they have a presence in Scarborough.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 June 15 03:36 BST (UK) »
I have seen the name as a middle name in New Zealand.

Offline Stephen Gamble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 June 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Hurworth. Yes, I have seen De Renzy in New Zealand. Since my last post here, I found further De Renzy Robinsons in the censuses but I haven't yet been able to place those individuals in my Robinson tree yet. They are somehow related. The De Renzy name is being used as a middle name in branches quite obscurely related to each other on the tree so far researched.

Offline Graeme Purdie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 December 17 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen,

It is now well over two years since you posted this message, but I have just joined into Rootschat and found your trail of messages regarding the name de Renzy. I am a direct descendant of Rev George de Renzy and maybe able to fill in some of the gaps in the de renzy history. Posted 1 January 2018.

Hello, I have an unusual name in my Robinson family tree - De Renzy. The individual is my great grandfather, William Alford Robinson's brother, Hugh De Renzy Robinson (1891-1917). Hugh died of his wounds in a hospital during WW1. Having extensively researched the family back to the eighteenth century (they appear to have come from Scarborough, North Yorkshire), I find no other person with this name, De Renzy. The Robinsons moved to Leeds from Scarborough in about the 1820s. Many baptisms and marriages at Leeds St Peter, etc. Professions: weaver, taylor, draper, brick maker, letterpress printer, etc. I have looked up the De Renzy name and found at Leeds (chaplain of the gaol), Reverend George Binks De Renzi, born in Ireland. I have no idea if he is related but would be interested in contacting any of this name or variation, who have Robinson as a surname in their tree. Posted 21 May 2015.

Offline Philomel1910

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 March 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Graeme, Sorry for delay in responding to your reply to my 2015 post. Am not regular here lately! Am very interested to hear that you are descended from the Rev. De Renzy. Is the same person who was chaplain at the Leeds gaol? I would be interested to learn precisely why my Robinson family were using De Renzy as a middle name in the 19th century. Their roots are (as far as I have traced them) in Scarborough, North Yorkshire, or surrounding villages such as Burniston (where great great great great grandfather George Robinson was born in 1784, baptized in St Laurence's parish, Scalby, in 1786). Rootschat contributors to this thread have kindly pointed out some instances of De Renzy in Scarborough and other parts of Yorkshire. I'd also like to know if there is any connection with the Rev De Renzy (who was at Haworth and later Leeds) and the fairly well-documented Sir Matthew De Renzy (1577-1634) who spent so much of his years in Ireland. So far I can find no instance of De Renzy and Robinson earlier than late 19th century. Looking forward to your response, when you can read my reply. Stephen, Scarborough, North Yorkshire.

Offline ganmburton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 July 20 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hugh de Renzy Robinson was my uncle.   My father Alexander Leo Robinson was his youngest brother.    Also born in Knaresborough.They lived in a house in the castle square and afterwards above the oldest chemist shop,  now the Lavender tearoom.   No water , electricity or inside loo.    Am happy for you to contact me .Margaret Beryl Burton nee Robinson