Author Topic: LEITH, James born abt. 1853 born Fermanagh, m. Mary Anne  (Read 5191 times)

Offline trish4tay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEITH, James born abt. 1853 born Fermanagh, m. Mary Anne
« on: Thursday 21 May 15 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for the familly of my Great Great Grandfather James Leith, born in Fermanagh about 1853.  He lived in Bandon in 1901 and was a Baker.  Married to a Mary Anne, had 3 daughters, Cathrine (or Eliza Catherine), Margaret Jane and Martha.  We have tracked Cathrine up until 1912 through prison records (sadly it seems starting in 1906 she became an alcoholic and a prostitute), Margaret Jane, married and moved to Peterborough, Martha died in 1907.  Mary Anne died in Peterborough in about 1915 (do not have any record of her maiden last name).   I have no account of the father James after about 1910 and NO info on my Great Grandmother Cathrine after 1912.  Would love to find more information about the James Leith family in Fermanagh and also about what happened to Cathrine.

I have posted on the Cork Board as that is where most of my documents are from but though I would post here to see if anyone researching the Fermanagh area has any information.

My Mom was born in Glanmire to Cathrine's son Robert and moved to Canada.  I am a first generation Canadian and before getting interested in geneology no one in the family even knew most of this family's names except for Cathrines or what happened to any of them.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thank you,  Trish Forte'

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LEITH, James born abt. 1853 born Fermanagh, m. Mary Anne
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   If James was born earlier there was a marriage of James Leith to Mary Anne Brown in Enniskillen Church of Ireland on 29 mar 1864. However I cannot find a record of any of the daughters you mentioned. I have found John James 1868, Mary Anne 1870, William Charles 1873 and Henry 1876, all born in Enniskillen.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline trish4tay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
I have seen this one, and keep it in my "showbox" just in case...but the dates don't match up.  I was thinking that this MAY be a relative though.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
Birth certificates for the 3 daughters you already know about will list their mother's maiden name and then you can try to locate the marriage certificate for James & his wife.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline trish4tay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
Where would I try to obtain those from in Fermanagh??  or in Cork?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 15 20:21 BST (UK) »

Offline trish4tay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
It's strange that I can't pull up Martha on the rootsireland.ie site at all......at least not yet.  Found Margaret Jane's and yep, her Mother is listed as Mary Anne Brown. Here is where it gets strange.  Margaret Jane's parents listed as James Leith and Mary Anne Brown, he is a Baker.  There is a marriage of James and Mary Anne Brown in Fermanagh in 1864 and James is listed as a Baker, but if this is them then the person who did the 1901 Census for Bandon, listed their ages as 10 years younger than they really were OR I have the wrong people, which is doubtful as Margaret Jane is the correct age on that census and my grand aunt was an 8 month old baby which is correct! AAARGH!  Old records are frustrating!!!!  Also says James father was a William Leith and lists him as a widower at the age of 22.  Making some headway though.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
The information on the census must ultimately have come from the occupants themselves. However errors in ages of up to 10 years are very common. People generally didn't celebrate birthdays in the 1800s in Ireland and frequently had little accurate idea of their ages.
Elwyn

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 May 15 07:32 BST (UK) »
May be all the family came to Bandon Mary Anne Leith
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPY1-ZH7
marriage ?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYHX-RM8
no idea who she married though to possibly find her in 1901.