Author Topic: Who would live in a Kirk?  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who would live in a Kirk?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 May 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
When I was a wean it would have been a brave man to go up oor street in a kilt unless he was a sodjer or a bona-fide piper carrying his pipes. "Kilty kilty cauld-bum" would have been the inevitable response from the weans. None of the weddings I attended were of the philabeg variety & we were hauf Hielan. Changed days indeed, even Shetlanders wear kilts noo'adays, it used to be toffs only.

Slainte'

Skoosh.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 May 15 01:17 BST (UK) »
Well...so much to digest :D

Beer not whisky. I shall look into this, but was there something about the mid 1600s that made whisky too much of a luxury? Or against the law? Not that that would have stopped anyone.

Kirktoun came to mind right away. I can see it, but not unfortunately on a map of Saint Ninians  :( From various websites, it would seem the whole of the original Saint Ninians is the Kirkton.

No ice, no mixers, got it. Except a little water which is the way OH likes it. He also says it releases the flavour :D 18 year old Glenlivet, on my shopping list for OH's birthday :D

I heard men do not wear a kilt, nor the kilt, nor the kilts. A man wears kilts. Perhaps a local idiosyncrasy. A Canadian one ;D

Aaaannnd...Skoosh speaks Martian. Who knew?  ;D

Fun thread!
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 May 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
Nanu-nanu,  China.  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 May 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
"Who would live in a Kirk?"

But of course, the "Kirk Mouse"   ;) ;) ;)

Regards

Malky

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 May 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
The spelling with 'e' is reserved for the Irish and North American variety - in Scotland, there is no 'e' in whisky ;)

Except in Canada, North America where they make whisky  :)
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 May 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone! I'm not getting anywhere with this on the Internet...both Kirk and Tenant are proper names and that's all that come up...Kirk Somebody and Somebody Tenant and their football scores :-(

So the question...why would there be tenants at a kirk? I have a James Rollo apparently domiciled in St Ninian's Kirk at Saint Ninian's near Stirling in the mid 1600s. He's a maltman, busy turning barley into whiskey :-) and he offered the local laird one eighth of a penny for "communication of trade", again living at the kirk apparently.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
China

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/46227/details/stirling+kirk+wynd+st+ninian+s+old+parish+church/

There are a few references for further reading

D

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 May 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
None of the weddings I attended were of the philabeg variety & we were hauf Hielan.
Slainte'

Skoosh.

Skoosh, my sister has a photo of a family wedding and I am on it aged 4 or 5 and wearing the kilt. Well I think it's a kilt, might just be in my sister's clothes ;D
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 May 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
Seoras, I had a sawn-off Seaforths kilt at that age, they thought they would send me off to the Sunday School thus attired,  but they had another think coming, nae way jose'

I've never worn one since.  ;D

P.S, I think there's one US whiskey which makes whisky.

Skoosh.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 May 15 04:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks deebel, I had seen this but hadn't looked at it properly until now :D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick