Author Topic: Thomas A Rutherford  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas A Rutherford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 May 15 01:01 BST (UK) »
The 1870 marriage of Thomas Rutherford and Elizabeth Young - details as given by MaureeninNY - would indeed appear to be the parents of Thomas A. Rutherford bc.1874/5 Maine, USA.

Her full address is given as 131 Barron Street which is where her parents Charles and Elizabeth are living in 1871 (with Helen Livingstone and Alexander Young).

Looking back on 1861 census family is shown as:

Charles Young 50
Elizabeth Young 49
Helen Young 25 (later Livingstone)
Charles Young 21
Forbes Young 15
Elspet Young 10
Alexander Young 4 (grandson).

So, looks like daughter Elizabeth Young (who married Thomas Rutherford 1870) is the youngest child shown as 'Elspet' on 1861 census and I agree, in 1871 her age must have transcribed incorrectly and no doubt should read '22' not 32!   

Would imagine that his father died in US and Charles and young Thomas A. were brought back by their mother to Scotland.   Thomas A. raised by his maternal grandmother Elizabeth Young and brother Charles by his maternal uncle William Young and his wife.  However, Charles Rutherford died 12/11/1886 aged 16 at 127 Barron St., Woodside, Aberdeen.   Father correctly shown as Thomas, deceased but mother still alive - she is shown as Elizabeth Jamieson, previously Rutherford, nee Young.   She was the informant of his death.   

Cannot see a death for a Thomas A. Rutherford in Scotland but a Thomas A. Rutherford bc.1875/6 died in the March quarter 1956 in Durham South Eastern, England.   A possibility??

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 May 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who replied to my inquiry. I have to say there seems to be a bit of confusion re Elspet/ Elizabeth etc. I shall have to do some more research and figure out the relationships. Re the BS does that mean he was not registered as a USA citizen? Trouble with a lot of this is that there are other Youngs with exactly the same names spread around the north east. So I shall have to give all this some thought. Thanks again for the help.
Lochnagar

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 May 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
Having done a bit more digging I find that Elizabeth and Thomas's children seem to have been spread around the relatives. What I cannot find is where the mother lands up. If her husband died in the USA it must have been after 1875. I have found  various Elizabeth Rutherfords but cannot pin my one down. Does she go away somewhere else to work, does she remarry and abandon her children or has she died somewhere out of the country? Puzzling.
Thanks for the previous threads though it all adds to the mystery.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 May 15 00:29 BST (UK) »
Very sorry-I've never been able to use the quote function-but :
Posted by: Annette7
« on: Friday 22 May 15 01:01 BST (UK)  »However, Charles Rutherford died 12/11/1886 aged 16 at 127 Barron St., Woodside, Aberdeen.   Father correctly shown as Thomas, deceased but mother still alive - she is shown as Elizabeth Jamieson, previously Rutherford, nee Young.   She was the informant of his death.

Maureen 

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 May 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
By manipulating the searches in scotlandspeople & without spending any credits, I found that there was a death of an Elizabeth Jamieson, other name Rutherford, registered in Woodside,Aberdeen, in 1889.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 May 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
Seems like a perfect fit to me.

:) :) :)

Maureen

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 May 15 20:19 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks to all so far, here is what I've found.
Elizabeth Young born c 1849/1850
Thomas Rutherford born c 1846/1847
Thomas and Elizabeth married  7 May 1870 Old Machar
Address 131 Barron Street Woodside Aberdeen
Children
Charles Culbard Rutherford born 12 June 1870
Elizabeth Jane McNab Rutherford born 7 July 1873
Thomas A Rutherford born c 1875 in State of Maine USA (British subject)
   In the 1881 census Thomas A aged 6, is living with his grandmother Elizabeth Young in 125 Barron Street Woodside Aberdeen
   In the 1881 census Charles  aged 10 is living with an uncle and aunt William and Jane Young at the Grove farm Auchmill
1891 Elizabeth Jane aged 17 (no occupation noted) is living with an aunt Margaret Masson in Fountainhall road Aberdeen
   Sometime between  1875 and 1889  Thomas Rutherford senior is assumed to have died in the USA. Elizabeth senior plus children return to Scotland, where Elizabeth senior remarries to an Alexander Jamieson.
   On the 12 November 1886 Charles Rutherford (mason apprentice) dies address given as 127 Barron Street Woodside Aberdeen.Thanks to " Annette7" for that info. I eventually got it from Scotland's People but it was incredibly slow in getting there.
   On 6 September 1889 Elizabeth Jamieson, by this time again a widow, dies. Her sister Helen Livingston m.s. Young, was the informant. The  address was 129 Barron Street Woodside Aberdeen, so maybe she had not entirely abandoned her children.
   On the 28 august 1894 Elizabeth Jane Rutherford (dressmaker) single dies at 9 Rose Place Aberdeen her aunt Helen Livingston m.s. Young being the informant.
Elizabeth senior, daughter Elizabeth and son Charles are all buried in the same lair in Old Machar churchyard.
   I still have to establish when Elizabeth and Alexander Jamieson were married and perhaps why the children were farmed out. Barron street seems to have figured large in the scheme of things in the family.
   In the 1861 census Charles and Elizabeth Young and 4 of the family were living at 119 Barron Street.
   I have tried unsuccessfully to obtain a marriage certificate from Scotland's People for Elizabeth and Alexander Jamieson Any idea as to where I'm going wrong?

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 May 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Have you found Alexander Jamieson's death certificate? You say Elizabeth was a widow, again, when she died in 1889. What was his occupation, & where was he in 1881? It may be that Elizabeth did not marry Alexander at all, or they may not have married in Scotland.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Lochnagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 July 20 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the help. I've been otherwise occupied recently. However I am no nearer finding Alex Jamieson's death certificate. The only reference I can find is on Elizabeth's death certificate where it states she is first the widow of Thomas Rutherford (stone mason)and secondly widow of Alexander Jamieson who was some kind of loom turner, I could not make out what the first word was. Yet another mystery.