Author Topic: KENNA/NOLAN  (Read 6912 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KENNA/NOLAN
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 May 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
I can only presume he got them here as they do show up when you enter the dates.
subscription site
http://www.rootsireland.ie/ifhf/search.php

edit
also to note
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=706683.0

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 May 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
matilda46
If the detail for Matthew, Bridget and Clydebank seem correct I would rule out, or at least park,
Owen NOLAN and Ellen DINGLE being Bridget’s parents

My reasoning being that the Matthew NOLAN that I referred to was in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Reg#13778
and there is an extensive file on some paid sites from his war service.

These include references to his sister Bridget (no surname) in Clydebank, his marriage,
many changes of addresses and also includes, after the war,
a Civil Employment Form asking for a reference
to work at the Singer Sewing Machine Factory, Clyde Bank, Glasgow
and within this form he gives his employers prior to enlisting in Sept 1914.

They were
Plunketts, Portmarnock, Co. Dublin; Carter; Sept 1909-Dec 1910
Easons, Abbey Street, Dublin; under Storeman; Dec 1910-Mar 1912
Singer Sewing Machine Factory, Glasgow; steel worker; Mar 1912 - 1914

This places him in Dublin in 1911 and hence the link to this census return where he is described as a Clerk in a Booksellers

and this is the best match census return for Matthew in 1901 at house 13.2 in Mercer Street Lower (Royal Exchange, Dublin)

Based on the details in these census returns, Bridget Kenny/Kenney would be their mother
1893 John
1895 Margaret
1898 Richard
1900 Agnes
1902 Thomas
Cecil, Ellen and Eileen may have been born too late for the church records online

As the older children were born in Devonshire I looked them up to find the family on the 1891 census; I attach a file with a spread of the extended family from 1871 to 1911 for you to investigate further, if you wish. However note that nowhere does it state that Matthew Senior was a fireman.

You could obtain the marriage certificate of Matthew NOLAN and Bridget MAGUIRE to see who is named as Matthew's father and what his profession is given as, to help further confirm or eliminate in your searching.
Dublin North 1919 Q3 V2 P541
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline matilda46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 May 15 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information myluck!  I have printed it off and will go through it all as soon as I get time to sit down and digest it all. Once again thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 May 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
You're welcome!
Nothing worse than trying to make connections and following the wrong line - hope this helps
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline matilda46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
An update on what I have found out since I last posted.

I was in Dublin last week and got a copy from the GRO of Mathew Nolan's birth certificate. His father's name is Owen Nolan and his occupation is given as Fire Brigade man. The address is given a 5 Cook Street, the same as the address on the baptismal certificate on the church records. His mother's name is given as Ellen Nolan formerly Mack which I think may be an error in the transcription.

I also got a copy of his marriage certificate to Bridget McGuire on which his father's name is also given as Owen Nolan and his occupation as a fireman. I have looked at the information on a couple of the paid sites in relation to his service records and employment. His next of kin in Clydebank would have been my grandmother Bridget if I am right.  My grandmother had a sister living in Clydebank at that time and I checked on her marriage as well. She gives her mother's name as Ellen Dingle and her father as Owen Nolan, she also gives his occupation as a Fire Brigade man. This ties in with the information I have for my grandmother.

I have some other things to check and will also have look further into Matthew's family to see what I can find out. I checked the 1901 an 1911 census again and neither of the Matthew Nolans seem to fit exactly.  The one in 1911 would possibly fit if it did not state that he was unemployed.

It seems that Owen was a clerk and perhaps a volunteer fireman and that is what came to mind first when asked what information to put on the certificates.

Onwards and upwards!!  I will keep you posted on further information.  Thanks again everyone for your help.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Just with regards to Owen's occupation . . .

I'm just wondering might he have been employed by the Fire Department but his duties may have mainly been in a clerks capacity as opposed to out fighting fires.

It might explain the change in job description on different pieces of paperwork.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 16:22 BST (UK) »
Owen Nolan passing away in the workhouse hospital in 1903 !

Tara