Author Topic: George EMERY  (Read 1740 times)

Offline staceymurphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George EMERY
« on: Saturday 23 May 15 07:12 BST (UK) »
My Great-Great-Great Grandfather was called George Emery who was a policeman from Enniskillen, his son, Thomas Emery married Sarah Johnston (Father named James Johnston) and had my Great-Granny, Martha Emery (Married William Love on 24th Dec 1914), sorry if that is confusing.

Anyway, I've heard about George possibly being in Royal Irish Constabulary and a book by the same name. I really want to know more of my maternal family. Possibly Sarah Johnston. I have records of Thomas and Sarah's marriage which was in 1887, and states George (Thomas Emery's father) as a policeman and James Johnston as a farmer from Pettigo. It also states a Rebecca Johnston as Bridesmaid (Possibly sister or sister-in-law?)

I've been searching Google and came up nothing. I hope you can help, thanks in advance! :)

-Stacey.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George EMERY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Pettigo is a border town in Co. Donegal and the adjoining town on the Fermanagh side is called Tullyhommon which mean you might find yourself having to search records in two different counties and countries.

Earlier topic has a bit of detail on the Emerys-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=692783

In 1901 Sarah's age is gives as 35 which means she was born c1866 (just around the time of the start of birth registration in Ireland). If her birth was registered it will list names of both parents but unfortunately Johnston is a very common name in that area.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!