Author Topic: John Thomson - Torphichen  (Read 2336 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Thomson - Torphichen
« on: Saturday 23 May 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
John Thomson, prob born 6 May 1776 Bo'ness. There are a couple of other possibilities but this seems most likely. It is his 2 wives I am stuck at!

Fist wife: Jean BEVERIDGE. Cannot find this marriage anywhere but guess it must have been between 1802 and 1808. Jean was b abt 1783 Torphichen, dau of William Beveridge and Elisabeth Aitken. This is the right Jean.

I believe she and John had 4 children.
William 1805
Robert 1807
John 1810
David 1813.

There is then a big gap before the next child which suggested a second wife. I then found a marriage of John Thomson to Jean DOBIE 12 Dec 1819 (M116714) and this fits nicely with the birth of the next child, Alexander in 1821. I also found this Jean b Bathgate 1794 with their son Christopher in 1841 and 1861.

What I can't find is a death of the first Jean - Jean Beveridge. Must have died between 1813 and 1821.  And I wonder if John was marked as a widower on that second marriage.

So my question is...does anyone have access to  the Torphichen OPRs or even MIs which might help?

Kind regards
Suzie

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomson - Torphichen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Suzie,

You will need to download the original entry for the second marriage in the Old Parish Registers from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ to see if it reveals further information, but don't expect too much.  I notice there are three entries for this marriage, referring to Banns published in Linlithgow and Torphichen.  Evidently John Thomson & Jean Dobbie resided in different parishes prior to their marriage.

brigau

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hallo Br1gau.

Thanks for your response. It was much as I thought...download it but doubt it will show anything.
Hmmm...I'll mull that over. Doing this for someone else so might ask first.

Thanks for your help.

Suzie

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 16 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm currently looking for information on a Katharine Cunningham who married a John Thomson in the Uphall area in 1794.

It is the next marriage in the register after my David Cunningham married Henrietta Wardlaw.

I am hoping that David and Katharine might be siblings although there are no other Katharines in our tree.

regards
Tanya
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)