Author Topic: Veterinary surgeons in the 1800's  (Read 5500 times)

Offline dobbin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Veterinary surgeons in the 1800's
« on: Saturday 23 May 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know if there would be any records relating to veterinary surgeons in or around Longford in the 1800's. I know it is different for vets now but was there any kind of registration back then? I know the man I'm looking for had a daughter born in Longford circa 1843 and I know he was deceased pre 1892 but I'm not sure where he died or how long before 1892 he died. His daughter moved to England with her family and I don't have any record of her father in England  I only have his name Michael Hoey (or Hoy) and occupation at this stage.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Veterinary surgeons in the 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 15 13:16 BST (UK) »
The Royal Veterinary College of Ireland didn't operate until 1900, having gained it's Charter of Incorporation in 1895.

So, more likely that if he was accredited, it was by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in London?

Try this website:
http://knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/heritage-and-history/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dobbin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks yes, I've got that website but I was just wondering if there was anything in particular to Ireland with it being so early.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 May 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the information that he was a veterinary surgeon? It's quite possible he was a farmer who acted as the local animal doctor amongst his friends and neighbours but had no actually formal education or qualifications.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dobbin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 May 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey

I did wonder whether that could have been the case, at his daughters marriage his occupation is stated on the certificate as Veterinary Surgeon. I 'll be honest I was surprised to see this as I was expecting something like labourer or as you say farm labourer.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 May 15 22:49 BST (UK) »
http://www.vci.ie/Historical/Articles/

This link says that the first veterinary school was established at Townsend St in 1800 as a joint effort of Royal Dublin Society (RDS) and Parliament.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 May 15 23:03 BST (UK) »
The 1800 venture was discontinued in 1807.

1832 a Veterinary Professor was appointed, who was expected to maintain (at his own cost) a hospital for invalid horses and livestock.
That venture was discontinued in 1858.

An RDS committee set up plans for a Veterinary School in 1867 and 1883.
The Royal Veterinary College of Ireland was finally incorporated in 1895, and it eventually opened in 1900.

So not much in the way of veterinary education in Ireland in the 1800's?

My 2nd Great Grandfather was a Veterinary Surgeon who moved to Dublin in the 1850's and had livery stables in Dawson Street.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dobbin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 May 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
thankyou both Conahy calling and KGarrad, some interesting info there for me to look at, much appreciated.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 May 15 23:53 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know if there would be any records relating to veterinary surgeons in or around Longford in the 1800's. I know it is different for vets now but was there any kind of registration back then? I know the man I'm looking for had a daughter born in Longford circa 1843 and I know he was deceased pre 1892 but I'm not sure where he died or how long before 1892 he died. His daughter moved to England with her family and I don't have any record of her father in England  I only have his name Michael Hoey (or Hoy) and occupation at this stage.

Have you considered that he might have been an army vet? The Longford Barracks was large and a cavalry facility with extensive stabling.

Perhaps the British Army lists / Service records?
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.