Author Topic: Jones Family Shropshire, England  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Janetmb52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones Family Shropshire, England
« on: Saturday 23 May 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
I am researching John Jones baptized March 20th 1806 in Ditton Priors. His baptism states his father is John Jones and his mother is Ann. I am not sure if John Jones had any siblings. I did find a Mary Jones baptized in 1804 in Ditton Priors with the same parents, not sure if they are related. Any information you can give me surrounding John Jones (1806) and his parents would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Janetmb2

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones Family Shropshire, England
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
The records for Ditton Priors are on FindMyPast, however when I searched for John 1806 it did not appear but when I went into the original record it was clearly noted as you stated. The record for Mary was also there it also added what I suspect is their abode: Heathhouse. There was also a later baptism for Francis Jones 4 May 1815, son of John & Anne Jones of Ditton Priors, father a Blacksmith.
Because the records are not too clear there may be more?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Janetmb52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 May 15 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.
Is there information on John Jones and Anne? Where he was born? Who his parents are? Where were John and Anne married? I am hoping to expand my family tree on the Jones side.
I know John Jones, their son was baptized in Ditton Priors but I don't have an actual birth date for him. John Jones married Mary Beddoes on October 9th, 1827 at St John the Baptist, Ditton Priors, Shropshire. I am not sure if this marriage record lists John's parents.
Janetmb52

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
Records going back that far do not contain all the info you are asking for.
Baptism/Christenings often only have Parents 1st names and no other info.
So the Baptism for Francis Jones 4 May 1815, with Fathers Occp Blacksmith is a real bonus.

You need to find all John/Anns Childrens Baptisms to narrow down possible Marriage date.
Hopefully John Jones, Blacksmith, is still alive to be found on the 1841 Census.

You are unlikely to find a Birth Date for John 1806 just his Baptism date.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
I’m afraid the marriage record only records that they were both of the parish and both signed, the witnesses were Richard Beddoes & Mary Bache.

Assuming that John and Anne married somewhere in Shropshire before 1806 (1801 +/- 5 years)
There are about 14 on FindMyPast, none in the area of Ditton Priors. There are John Jones burials there but none after 1789.

The only other John Jones marriage at Ditton Priors was much earlier in 1720.

There are baptism records at Ditton Priors for John Jones in 1768, 1781 & 1784 but I guess he could have been born anywhere.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 15:10 GMT (UK) »
This is not of much help to your direct question (I too have been unable to make much progress upstream) but I am a direct descendant of a John Jones (birth date and place unknown), who married Mary Beddo(w)es at Ditton Priors 09 Oct 1827. They had a son, William, who was baptised in Ditton Priors 13 March 1828. He was my 2nd great grandfather and, as far as I know, had no siblings. If nothing else, this may help you eliminate one line of enquiry.

I thought that the fact that William had a career as a schoolmaster, as did one of his sons (also William) may give some clues. Sadly, it did not and I was unable to find any definitive connections to be able to identify Mary's husband, John Jones. I have also been unable to track what became of John and Mary. My only tangible records for both of them are the marriage record and the baptism reference. I have also been unable to source Mary Beddow(e)s' background. There is a William Jones in the 1841 census living in Ditton Priors but he is not in any family group and I could not find any death records for his parents between 1828 and 1841.

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janetmb52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clive,
Thank you for your reply. William Jones is my 2nd great-grandfather. Annie Jones, his daughter is my great-grandmother. I know for a fact William Jones was a tailor. I sent away for Annie Jones marriage certificate and it lists her father as being a  Master Tailor. Once I had this information, I was able to search for William's parents. I found William's marriage certificate. It shows him as being a Tailor and it list his father as being John Jones and he is listed as a schoolmaster. William's son William also became a teacher as well.  I was able to find John Jones marriage certificate to Mary Beddoes. John Jones died abt 1842 as Mary remarries to John Francis in 1844.
Jones is a common sir name. If John Jones was actually baptized in Ditton-Priors, I am guessing. I was only going by his first born child and his marriage being there. I am at a stand-still right now in regards to John Jones. I am hoping someone else is related to this family line and they would have information I don't have or Roots Chat could help me as well. Let me know if you want to exchange any information I have.
Janetmb52 (Ontario, Canada)