Author Topic: William Moore  (Read 3109 times)

Offline MoeSusannah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Moore
« on: Sunday 24 May 15 04:41 BST (UK) »
hello

I am searching for information on my great great grandfather William Moore. he was born at Ballyheigue, Kerry about1801. BY 1837 he had married Susan or Susannah Gaudy who was from Leicester although I cannot find any thing about her or their marriage (RC) at all and was living in Co Antrim where their first (I think) daughter Mary was born. Son William was also born Co Antrim 1840 as was Paul 1842. Paul is the only one I have found on Rootsireland. William was probably a coast guard as by 1845 they were in the UK and I have found the UK documents that confirm this.
Any help re the Irish information would be most welcome.
Maureen from NZ

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Moore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen

As a Coastguard you are fortunate in having access to an excellent set of records available as free downloads from the National Archives website - the ADM 175 series of Coastguard Establishment Books. Additionally many CGs of this period were issued with Merchant Seamens Tickets, your man being one in 1845, this can be viewed on Find my Past, the pay to view site.

According to his Ticket (No 128,476) your man was born on 17 Dec 1803, with the ticket being issued while he was a Boatman at Richmond (West Mersea) CG Station in the Harwich District. Although the ticket contains no family information it will provide you with a physical description together with other general information.

Returning to the ADM 175 records, knowing he served at Richmond provides a starting point to trace his CG career both backwards and forwards. So to start you need to download ADM 175/7 and look at pdf 712. This shows that he was nominated to Richmond from Skerries CGS in Ireland on the 24 Nov 1843 and was subsequently moved to Hill Head on 18 July 1845 because of ill health. I have done no further work to trace his movements, but if you do have problems PM me.

On the question of his marriage, it was fairly common for CG men to marry the daughters of older CGs, so when you do trace you man's movements look at the other men at his stations to see if one has the same surname as his wife, this could be her father! 

Finally there were also a number of children born in England.

Martin

Offline MoeSusannah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there martin

I am just so impressed at how you found all this information.
I had found info on genuki re William and family but it did not include date of birth etc you have found.
I will be checking all that information - I have found ADM records hard to sort through in the past but will persevere.
I had not though that Gaudy might be an Irish name after all  - or even I guess she may have been a widow!

One of the England born sons - Richard Henry is my ancestor.

Thanks so much again

Silly question but what do you mean by "PM me"?

all the best
Maureen

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 15 09:01 BST (UK) »
PM - privately mail using the email facility.

Since posting I've now traced his movements from May 1831 until his retirement in 1863. He initially entered the CG service after being an 'Extra-man' working at a CG Station; these were men employed but not on the formal establishment, so it is not possible to trace his early (pre 1831) service using the CG records. 

Martin

Offline MoeSusannah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin
That's just grand, thanks so much again.  I am about to dive into the National Archives.
I subscribe to Find My past but could not find that information but will have another go latter.
All the best and I may take you up on your offer.
maureen

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen

To access his Ticket on FindMyPast click on Search; Education & Work; enter name and year of birth; select in the sub category box - Merchant Navy & Maritime, now enter.

If you are going to trace his movements using the ADM 175 records, I now suggest you start with ADM 175/6 pdf 451, this is his first entry into the service.

Martin