Author Topic: David LESLIE born about 1761 in ARBIRLOT, Angus  (Read 2345 times)

Offline AlisonT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David LESLIE born about 1761 in ARBIRLOT, Angus
« on: Sunday 24 May 15 06:14 BST (UK) »
My 4x great grandfather.  He married Mary PARKER in Southwark, Surrey in 1785 and remained in London as a baker.  I think his parents were James Leslie and Elspeth Davidson.  I would love to know more about his family in ARBIRLOT.  Regards, Alison

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: David LESLIE born about 1761 in ARBIRLOT, Angus
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 15 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison,

David Leslie/Lislie's Marriage Allegation states he was 26 in 1785, giving a birth year of 1759, although we don't know how precise this is.  How have you made the connection to Arbilot?

brigau

Offline AlisonT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your replies.  Family stories passed down always said we were connected to Leslie clan and therefore allowed to wear the appropriate plaid!  When searching for the parents of Elizabeth Leslie, I came across David and Mary. There was no birth for David in the London area, but on one piece of the family's records, there was a witness originally from Arbirlot, also at the time living in London.  So on the off chance I searched for David there, and found one, son of James and Elspeth.  Just where I've put that piece of paper, at the moment, I've no idea, but will find it and attach when I can.  David and Mary's daughter Elizabeth b. 13/Dec/1788 is my 3x gr-grandmother.  Thanks again, Alison

Offline luckychirpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison,
                 I have a Memorial Inscription book for Arbirlot Church cemetery but found a Lesly who was a bit later than the one you are looking at.             

Have a look here, when it comes back, ...it may be of help.

http://www.clanlesliesociety.org/index.html

Also this one, which is working

http://www.clanleslie.org/
Arbroath, St Vigeans, Auchmithie...names Beattie,Eaton,Spink,Smith,Keir, Shepherd, Cargill
Dunnichen/Farnell names...Weir,Addison, Anderson,Rodger
Aberdeenshire...names Stephen,Kemp,Wallace,Davidson,Sellar,McLeman,Cordiner,Crawford,Traill,Watt
Have an extensive history for McLeman.

London.....Vallance,Edwards, Dixon.