Author Topic: Edenbank cottage Melville road Laybank 1919  (Read 4475 times)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edenbank cottage Melville road Laybank 1919
« on: Sunday 24 May 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,its a while since i have been on RC...still searching the same person but now from a different angle.
Monical if you in there you will know me well.
Brief catchup,my Aunt Ethel Edna whom i thought was born in Ferry-upon-craig in 1915 could not find her anywhere,still cannot find her..BUT!!!! found a death of Ethel Elizabeth Magee at the "subject" address in 1919 this is so close to the bone its remarkable.My Grandmothers maiden name was Magee,this Ethel Elizabeth was a spinster who must have came over from Ireland (Belfast) because she was pregnant(i think) and lived very close to where my Grandparents were at that time.. and when Ethel Elizabeth died Ethel Edna would have been 4yrs old ( hence this is why she knew she was fostered)
On Ethel Elizabeth Magees death cert., she was taken back to Belfast by her brother to be buried,
her father(?) was a linen manufactor,a far cry from the poor background my Grandparents came from.but i still think this is my way forward.The only things still adrift are cannot find Ehel Ednas Birth no matter how hard i try ,also although  really have a great guy from Ladybank doing his utmost to help find this Eden bank cottage where Ethel Elizabeth lived and died nothing is coming up.The Ladybank church has records dating back to the 1800"S but he rekons the task of looking through these records are massive...i have looked at every thing but if anyone thinks i have missed anything i would be very happy to get advise..
                                                                    Hope this all makes sense,
                                                                                                            Cheers..

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Edenbank cottage Melville road Laybank 1919
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
Shelly, hello again  :)

Let's hope new fresh eyes bring in more new info for you now... ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 May 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this could be it, named Eden Cottage....possibly dropped the "bank" over time  ??? Not a great view but there's an email address & a webpage but that wouldn't open  :-\

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fcr/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie  :) Good to have you looking through this all now...

Just adding the original post here for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=682695.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
Just adding the original post here for background

Hi Monica & Shelly,

I have been reading forever & only got as far as pg6 when I had this thought................

Is it possible that Ethel may have mixed up Ferry-on-Craig with Craigton, Broughtyferry ??? They face each other over the Tay.

I have a feeling she may have been told something different to the truth though  :-\

I don't envy your trail Shelly but I can empathise as I had a maize at one time to untangle & I can tell you the searching was painstaking but the result was like a lottery win  ;D
My brother, prior to my searching (unbeknown to me) had asked a genealogist for help & the case was unsolved but I did get there in the end & looking at how it has panned out it's both funny & sad with a lot of ??????

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly,

This looks like a good possibility  ???

1   1918   BLACK   ETHEL WINIFRED   F   ST ANDREWS AND ST LEONARDS   /FIFE   453/00 0070   No Image

Approx. 3.5mls from Tayport/Ferryport-on-Craig

Annie

ADDED.............Registered there so could well have been born in F-o-C

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 May 15 11:39 BST (UK) »

1918    BLACK   ETHEL WINIFRED   F   ST ANDREWS AND ST LEONARDS   /FIFE   453/00 0070   No Image

Hmmm  ??? with the above.

Been reading through again & there's a 3 yrs difference between her given birthdate of 1915 & the above (registered date) but if she was born at the end of the yr 1917 it wouldn't have been registered until 1918 but I wasn't happy so done another search & BINGO

4   1916   WELLS   EDITH ETHEL   F   DENNISTOUN   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/04 0179   No Image

This I would say is a front runner  ;D

Annie

ADDED..............I think both could be contenders 1st by place of birth 2nd by nearest date & both for middle name beginning with "E"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 May 15 12:01 BST (UK) »

1918    BLACK   ETHEL WINIFRED   F   ST ANDREWS AND ST LEONARDS   /FIFE   453/00 0070[/size][/size]   No Image

4   1916   WELLS   EDITH ETHEL   F   DENNISTOUN   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/04 0179   No Image

We can rule out Edith Ethel Wells as there's a marriage for her in Lanarkshire 1939 & a death 1983 corresponding with her birth year so we are back to the initial one & it's got to be her in my book  ???  ;D

Annie

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
            thank you for your reply,for some reason it seems more difficult for me this time on R C to
answer back to letters  sent to me.
Anyway thank you,i agree Monica is brilliant at helping  and engouraging you on.
Death Cert..my aunt died in Queensland Australia (2000) i have written to them they sent me a form to fill in which i forwarded on to my aunts son trying to encourage him to fill in and send off athough he is very interested in finding out his mothers back ground he needs a little push to get him going.(i did that today) fingers x"s.
Anne my aunt said she never had a bith cert., (neither did my dad have one) so when she applied at 60 for her state pension she would have needed one true?
This happened to my dad in 1973 he had  stroke applied for his pension then and only then did he find out that my grandparents were not his real family.(sad)
Anyway i will plod on and hope that some thing raises its head .
I am at St.Andrews Fife... and its dull today.
Cheers Anne.take care,