Author Topic: resident in Northern Ireland without a permit (1946)  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
resident in Northern Ireland without a permit (1946)
« on: Sunday 24 May 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
Why would a person from southern Ireland be charged in 1946 with failure to produce identity card and resident in Northern Ireland without a permit.
There were other charges, assault disorderly behaviour. It's the permit thingy that intrigues me.
Do l assume if you had the correct papers and were law abiding you could move between north and south? 

Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: resident in Northern Ireland without a permit (1946)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
The big clue is "resident in Northern Ireland." From 1939 until 1952 people resident in the United Kingdom, which included Northern Ireland, had to be registered and carry an identy card. Failure to do so, as in this case, was a crime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Registration_Act_1939
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 May 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I just found it interesting that folk had to have a permit.
So can l assume if you got a permit you could move around. As well as being well behaved. :)

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
Iv just 're read what you said. Is this because of the war years ?
Sorry if lm coming across a bit dense, Sunday afternoon bank holiday & glass of wine not a good combination lol

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Murrell,
It sounds like an excellent combination!

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
So can l assume if you got a permit you could move around. As well as being well behaved. :)

As aghadowey says, identity cards had to be carried by everyone in the UK during WW2 and for a few years afterwards.  I was born shortly before the cards (and rationing) were abolished, and I still have mine.  It simply shows my name, address, date of birth, and registration number.  No photo, even on adult cards, so really didn't prove anyone's identity ::)

So yes, armed with my official government-issued card, I was indeed free to move around (only on the floor at that age), and of course I was terrifically well behaved (not having discovered the joys of being naughty) ;D

Carry on enjoying your long weekend 8)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 15 20:17 BST (UK) »
The underlying issue, during a time of war, was that Northern Ireland shared an open border with the neutral Republic of Ireland. The UK authorities were understandably anxious that enemy spies etc could sneak into a part of the UK without detection. Part of the measures to counteract that was a requirement for the population to have a National identity card, or an aliens registration card.

For the same reason there was a border control on ferries and flights between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. So you needed to show a passport (or your National Identity card) to travel on the ferry from Larne to Stranraer, or to fly from Belfast to London etc, between 1939 and 1951, or thereabouts.

I am not entirely sure what the situation was for a citizen of the Republic of Ireland travelling to Northern Ireland but to travel to Britain, for part of the war, an Irish passport and a visa (or certain specified alternative documentation) was required. There was a passport control at Holyhead, Liverpool etc to check the documentation.
Elwyn

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 May 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
As I recall the numbers on our identity card were used as our no's for the National Health service

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 May 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
Wow lm impressive with all the details you lovely Rootchat people have given me. Many many thanks.
Oh by they way the guy had an extra 2 months added to the sentence for lack of I D.