Author Topic: Finding a suicide report for 1930  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Puzzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding a suicide report for 1930
« on: Monday 25 May 15 13:43 BST (UK) »
Please could someone help me with finding an inquest held at Chester on 19th November 1930 with reference to my uncle, Eric Evans who took his own life on Bidston Hill, 17 November 1930, by drinking carbolic acid.  He was aged 26 and a talented amateur organist.  If the coroner's report is no longer available, I would have thought there would be something in the press but I am unable to find newspaper records, 1930, online for the Liverpool area and as I live in France, I can't go in person to do library research etc. if someone could point me in the right directionI might be able to find out more!  Thank you so much.

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a suicide report for 1930
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 15 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you contacted the county archives?  The Coroner's file on the inquest might not have survived but the staff should be able to tell you which local newspapers might have carried an report;  they can also carry out research for a fee.

http://archives.cheshire.gov.uk/home.aspx

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 15 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Puzzle
I am researching at Chester Record Office a week tomorrow (Tuesday), if you haven't received help by then, quite happy to check the newspapers for you:
Chronicle
Courant
Observer
marthaannie

Offline Puzzle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nanny Jan, I have sent the Archives an email and thank you Marthaannie, that is extremely kind of you, I will be in touch.

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Puzzle

As Bidston Hill is in the Birkenhead area I had a look at the 'Birkenhead News' (local newspaper- copies held on microfilm at Birkenhead library) and found a report of the inquest - marthaannie may be able to find more details for you next week at Chester Records Office.

If you would like to send your e-mail address to me by personal message(pm) I can forward the report on to you.

Regards

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk