Author Topic: Agnews of Kilkeel  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Glaves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnews of Kilkeel
« on: Monday 25 May 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am really eager to find out more about my Irish ancestry (coming from England) but I am really struggling to move the 'Agnew' line back any further.
My ancestor Rachel Agnew (name follows the female line) b.1864 Kilkeel moved to York in the 1880's I believe. But I am trying to find more on her father, Shaw Agnew.
The only records of Shaw are his children's (Ellen and Rachel) birth records, the Griffiths Valuation and his death record:

Name:   Shaw Agnew
Estimated Birth Year:   abt 1817
Date of Registration:   Jan-Feb-Mar 1879
Death Age:   62
Registration district:   Kilkeel
Volume:   1
Page:   571
FHL Film Number:   101589

I can't find a record of a marriage to Eliza Newell who is the mother to his children and recorded as his wife in the Griffiths valuation. Nor can I find him on a census.
I really want to move this line further back, if anyone can help me in anyway I would be really grateful,
Thanks, R.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnews of Kilkeel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Just a snippet -- according to Roots Ireland, Shaw Agnew and 'Elizabeth' had another child 'Sarah' in 1856.

3 daughters - Sarah, Rachel and Ellen were all baptised at Annalong Presbyterian, Moneydaraghmore. So the family were Presbyterian --- and the marriage should be 1856 or before.

Don't know if this helps at all.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
You won’t find Shaw Agnew on any census because, with the exception of some fragments, there are no censuses before 1901.

Statutory registration of non RC marriages started on 1st April 1845. I cannot see the Agnew/Newell marriage in those records. It’s possible therefore that they married before that date. In that case you need to search church records for the marriage.

The family reportedly attended Annalong Presbyterian church. Their marriage records start in 1840. However the records for 1840 to March 1845 are not on-line anywhere so far as I can tell. There is however a copy in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is required to access them.

Having said that, tradition was to marry in the bride’s church (after which she would attend her husband’s). Eliza’s church may not necessarily have been Annalong Presbyterian. So if you don’t find the marriage in Annalong’s records, you should try other nearby churches.

Incidentally, I looked in the revaluation books and I see that Shaw’s farm in Moneydorragh More passed to James Agnew after his death who was still there in 1901.

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b.htm
Elwyn

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Shaw Agnew is mentioned on the Ros Davies site but it only contains the information which you already  have. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/A/AbAg.htm

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 May 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been looking to see if I can help.
First of all Shaw and Elizabeth had
James    1848  this is the James the farm was left to.
Jane        1851
Sarah     1856
Rachel    1864
Ellen        1868
also in the 1901 census there was Anne and Elizabeth sisters of the James you mentioned, he was the head of the household.
Checking on these two, 2 births for Elizabeth, father listed as Hugh in one and Thomas in another.
Anne must have been a second name to one of the above.
So then I went to the marriages.
Hugh Agnew
Thomas Agnew
John Agnew
these are all from Kilteel, married around the same time 1841 to 1849.
These also had children using the same names as Shaw and Elizabeth.
I went to the Tithe records the only Agnew's were in County's Armagh, Monaghan and Roscommon, this was 1823 to 1837.
Later on this year records are being released on line of Parish Books, these from the National Library in Dublin, they are on reels, as I have spent many hours searching them,  these will help you with your searching. 
The only other thing to do is to contact the Church in Kilteel.
I hope this has helped.
Maggsie

Offline Glaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 May 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all so much for your help

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
Could Shaws parent be one of these recent records thankfully now on line
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/kilkeel-parish.php#.VWSVkkuDoYU
Agnew, George    Townland: Glenloughan Year: 1830
Agnew, James    Townland: Ballinran Year: 1830
Agnew, James    Townland: Ballymaderphy Year: 1830
Agnew, James    Townland: Moneydaraghmore Year: 1830
Agnew, John    Townland: Glenloughan Year: 1830
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline HungryFarmers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 June 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping that some are still looking. I'm looking for the family history of Sarah Agnew, possibly the one mentioned above.

Sarah Agnew is listed as the mother on the marriage certificate of her son, John Mitchell, who was married in Australia in 1871. The certificate can be accessed from the Victorian Births Deaths and Marriages online record:
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj?viewSequence=200&language=en&trxId=IDX&commandAction_displayDetailsAction%3DF257FCFC6B73EEB763E6C9C68E4C99BA

John Mitchell's parents are listed as James Mitchell and Sarah Agnew. Father's profession listed as "farmer". John Mitchell's (the son) birthplace is listed on his marriage certificate as "Kilkeel Down". I have not located John or Sarah's birth certificates yet. I don't have a birth year, but from his marriage date I expect John was born in the 1800s and Sarah probably was early 1800s. Where do I look for their birth records?

I note that there are Mitchells and Agnews buried in Mourne Presbyterian Church graveyard Kilkeel, but I'm not sure how to access further detail on these graves (I only have surnames on the plot map listed in section B numbers 30, 308, 320, 74, 197, 266, 376.) Any help on where to look for these would be appreciated.

Did you find out any further information on Shaw Agnew and Elizabeth? (They may be Sarah's parents also.)

Thank you for any help.
Jane

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 June 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Civil registration of births didn't start until 1864 so the best you can hope for is a baptism from church records. Do you know what religion your family would have been?

The link in your post just goes to the Victorian civil index- searching for John Mitchell marriage brings up a few results and clicking on a name brings up ordering options so we can't see the details on the actual certificate.

Can you narrow down John Mitchell's age as '1800s' covers a rather wide period- if married 1871 he was likely born before 1853 but could also have been considerably older than 18 at that time.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!