Author Topic: Mary Packwood  (Read 4531 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Packwood
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
Looked at the Melchbourne PR transcript (up to 1812) at the archives this morning - the Packwood baptisms, marriages & burials are as per the Rushden Heritage site. James & Elizabeth Packwood's children are the first & only entries in the register for the name. The baptism of William Packer in 1786 is the only entry for Packer in the register.

There is no baptism for anyone on 26 Oct 1793 - so where's that come from?

Where's the proof that the Mary Packwood who married Jonathan Hart is a daughter of James & Elizabeth. Could she be have moved from Stanwick with her parents before settling in Melchbourne. Jonathan & Mary's children baptised at Melchbourne don't name a James! They are William 1813 (after Jonathan's father?), Elizabeth 1814, Ann 1816, Thomas 1820.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
I agree absolutely John. I don't think there is any proof that Mary was the daughter of James and Elizabeth. I am going to look at other options I think.

Do you have any Packwood`s in your tree John?? There seem to have been a lot of them around.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
There is no proof whatsoever. Her census ages were consistent, her place of birth was consistent as Melchbourne, there was no other Packwood family in Melchbourne, she married in Melchbourne. Have you checked the PR to see who the witnesses were? I know, even if they were two of James and Elizabeth's known children, it's still not proof that Mary was their sister, rather than, say, a cousin. Have you checked Stanwick PR on the offchance that she was taken back there to be baptised? If traditional naming patterns were followed Jonathan and Mary's first daughter would have been named after Mary's mother - Elizabeth. Not proof though, but circumstantial evidence.

It will come down to the balance of probabilities - and I think she was probably the daughter and second child of James and Elizabeth. Just can't prove it! Even if you find a Mary Packwood of the right age in a Northants parish you're still going to have the same problem in reverse in proving that she was the Mary who married in Melchbourne otp.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 May 15 06:00 BST (UK) »
I have not checked the parish records for witnesses but that would be useful. She may well have been a niece of James born elsewhere and adopted by the couple, or whatever passed for adoption in those days. I have checked the Stanwick records and cant find a baptism. In fact I have checked the other villages as well, and no Packwoods to be found. Stanwick and mostly Rushden seems to have been their base.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 May 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
Do you have any Packwood`s in your tree John??

Well since you ask.... Ann Packwood 1797 daughter of James & Elizabeth married George Wesley (or Westley) at Melchborne on 17 Apr 1818. Their son George 1825-1855 married Elizabeth Pettitt in 1850. After George died his widow Elizabeth married William Partridge in 1858. He was son of Bolt P & Ann Dickins & are part of the Podington brood only linked by marriage to my direct line.

Secondly there's John Boaz Packwood 1852 from Wollaston who married Juilia Flanders; her mother Amelia married James Partridge & her sister Eliza married James's son Samuel - both from Sharnbrook
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 May 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
Ah ha, I thought there might some Packwood`s hiding there somewhere.  8)
Garvey- Ireland.