Author Topic: Looking for a James Connor in Enniskillen?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Psyche1226

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a James Connor in Enniskillen?
« on: Monday 25 May 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about my great-great-great-grandfather the Rev. James Connor. Ancestry.com says he was born in Enniskillen, but I have no date of birth for him. He was married to Julia (nee Stout) and they had at least one son, Clarence Seward Connor, born in Virginia on Jan 28, 1884, died Nov 11, 1954.

You'd think with him being clergy this would be a cinch but so far I haven't turned anything up. I don't know which parish or or even what church he belonged to.

Any info at all would be hugely appreciated!!

(Date unknown)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a James Connor in Enniskillen?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
You'd think someone would know the religion of which he was a Reverend!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
It seems as though you've maybe just started searching as the date of birth is easily found -
www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Connor&GSiman=1&GScid=1028202&GRid=27128289&

There's a bit about the cemetery here and googling might find more details. There were lots of Methodists in Fermanagh.
www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GSln=Connor&GSiman=1&GScid=1028202&GRid=27128289&CRid=1028202&

The 1890 U.S. census does not survive but you might be able to find him in 1880 census (www.familysearch.org) if he was in the U.S. by then.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
I think I would start by trying to obtain James parents’ names from his marriage or death certificate. You’ll need them because otherwise it’ll be hard to tell if you have the right man.

James was evidently born c 1836. If his family was Methodist (and that is common in Fermanagh) then in 1836 it’s not certain he would have baptised in the Methodist faith. The history of Methodism in Ireland is complex but in essence it boils down to the fact some Methodists wanted to establish a separate denomination, whilst other wanted to remain part of the Church of Ireland. It was 1818 before Methodists in Ireland could theoretically baptise their children into that denomination but in practice many carried on using the Church of Ireland until the 1870s. There were breakaway sects. In the Enniskillen area, the Wesleyan Methodists conducted their own baptisms from 1823 onwards. However Primitives and other Methodists carried on using the Church of Ireland until, in many cases, the 1870s.

So you could check the Wesleyan Methodist records for James baptism. But failing that I would try Church of Ireland records. However if James came from Enniskillen, a problem you will face is that most of the Enniskillen Church of Ireland pre 1861 records were destroyed in 1922, during the Irish civil war. Some parish records do survive eg summaries of births etc. but it’s not a great picture. What does survive is held in PRONI, Belfast, along with the Methodist records.
Elwyn