Author Topic: Corporal C J Butler 16 Flight D squadron. Newquay  (Read 7233 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Corporal C J Butler 16 Flight D squadron. Newquay
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
I was looking for Butler, but now can see what you are getting at.
His card in AIR78 has his former name of Wood crossed out and Butler pencilled in.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
This is the closest I can get, but still not a 100% match.
Why would his name have been changed ?

Clive L Wood Mother's Maiden Surname: Brittain
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1920
Registration district: Walsall  Staffordshire

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
If you download the relevant AIR 78 part from the TNA you will find that this matches the previous full name and so is the correct birth.

The usual reason for fake name is under age enlistment but in this case he falls in the correct 15 to 16 age for Boy Entrant at Halton.

Another reason is that a Boy entrant needs parental consent and if the boy suspects that this would not be forthcoming they use a replacement adult relative or friend.

Neither of these apply in this case so he has enlisted with his parental consent under his born name.

Sometime after enlistment he has changed it legally when of age.

If you down the route of service record it may shed some light but you will need to get a copy of his death certificate from the GRO. The death cert will have the name of who reported the death and this may be a surviving relative or may be somewhere that knew of his circumstances in the 80s.

Up to you to take this further.

Ross

Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Could his mother married/married again and so Clive was raised by a stepfather and took his name?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 08:35 BST (UK) »

Thanks,  I`ve found  AIR 78, but there is no Butler I can find and only 2 Woods.  Can you help please.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=wood&_hb=tna&_ser=AIR+78&id=C2132&search=r&_p=1925&Refine+dates=Refine

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 12:37 BST (UK) »
There are a several hundred Woods and a few hundred Butlers.

You need to look at the content and description of the files rather than just glance at the title.

AIR 78 pieces comprise of one or more pdf image files.

They are each of considerable size and can be viewed page by page online or downloaded for free.

The speed of page refresh for scrolling using the viewer is limited and best left for using this method at The National Archives building.

The AIR 78 image files are digital version of the original microfilm images. Each image is a picture of several A5 ish single sided cards, laid out in two columns, showing the known full name of an RAF Other Rank, their associated service number and a few other associated items.

The coverage of AIR 78 is 1918 to 1975.

They are not the service record but form the index to allow the service record in AIR 79 to be found from a full name. The service records are being released in batches but currently only those who served prior to 1930 are available in AIR 79.

To use AIR 78 for your man download the relevant AIR 78 piece.

This is found in discovery by looking at where your man's name falls between the first and last recorded name in the piece image file.

In your case you need
AIR 76/26 Name Range: Burton B C - Bygrave, Ivor

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4004603

Add to the basket and check out.

You will now be able to download 250.5 Mb of images for free.

The download will be spread over two pdf files.

The first pdf consists of 1,197 pages, each of approx. 8 cards.

Butlers start at page 844 and end at page 1197 before continuing onto the next pdf file.

Scroll to page 911

Clive John Butler's card is 1st column, second down.

The F in a circle stamp denotes Class F reserve and means service prior to Sept 1939 making the man liable for immediate return to service on war.

Ross

Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, it did take me a while , but I`ve got him at last. I`m not familiar with the National Archives.

I`m going to have to start another thread  to try to find if he had any  family .

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 May 15 18:02 BST (UK) »

If you down the route of service record it may shed some light but you will need to get a copy of his death certificate from the GRO.
Ross

Can you explain about this, do you mean  download the service record, or should it say - go down the route of service.
Thanks

Offline MrsBaz37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 April 16 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I believe you have the training log for my late maternal grandfather Clive John Butler. For some reason following a dream about my grandparents I decided to search for my grandfather online as he was part of Archibald McIndoe's Guinea Pig Club, the over 600-strong band of airmen treated for burns in East Grinstead in WWII.
After searching the web this forum post came up by my complete surprise. Indeed he did marry and had three daughters, my mum being the youngest. He lived with my grandmother in Lincoln and then moved to Wrexham for the last years of his life to be near his middle daughter and their family. I only knew my grandfather until I was 11 but remember very fond times visiting my grandparents as a youngster.
I know my mum would especially love to be able to see his log book as I know she was very close to him as a child, especially after he had his second air crash. In fact after treatment at East Grinstead, she used to help out with his care and convalescence at home and during visits back to the hospital was known as his 'shadow'.
I would love to hear from you and if you still have the log book. If you PM me I can also show you some photos of my late grandfather when he was part of the 'Guinea Pig Club'
With thanks, Sarah