Author Topic: Kings Liverpool 1/5th Battalion  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Blackpoolgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kings Liverpool 1/5th Battalion
« on: Tuesday 26 May 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hope I am in the right place as this is the first time I have posted. I am doing research on my family history and my Great Uncle died in WWI. He was in Kings Liverpool 1/5th Battalion and died on 31 July 1917. After looking on here earlier at some old post, someone else was asking a similar question and was told that the rank could not have been Rifleman and could not have died on that date. My Great Uncle was Jack W S Benson and the info on the CWGC states that date which I believe was the Battle of Pilckem Ridge. His name is on the Menin Gate. Can anyone clarify why this might not be the case, please? Also I have a picture which states No 3 & 4 Platoon Draft 3/10 Liverpool Scottish 15/5/16. As I am not military minded would this be part of the same battalion? Many thanks for any help

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Liverpool 1/5th Battalion
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
Best place for this would be the ww1 board hopefully a moderator can pick up and move it for you.Am sure responses will be forthcoming to help you out

Edit....he's listed as a rifleman although on the soldiers effects list on ancestry its crossed out and replaced by Pte..as you say KIA Ypres 1st day of pilckem Ridge
He was a Territorial probably trained with London Scottish then drafted as casualty replacement to 1/5th in France/Belgium.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173641
Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 21:35 BST (UK) »
I can start you off. 3/10 Battalion Territorial Force. Actually renamed 10th Reserve Battalion 8th April 1916. Training and replacement Battalion.

Evidently transferred to 1/5 Battalion. In 6th Brigade, 2nd Division. To 99th Brigade, 2nd Division 15th December 1915. To 165th Brigade, 55th Division 7th January 1916. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Blackpoolgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, I will try the WWI board as suggested