Author Topic: James McGrath and Maria Bulter  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Tony02

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McGrath and Maria Bulter
« on: Wednesday 27 May 15 00:45 BST (UK) »
I'm wanting to get more information on James McGrath who married Maria Bulter in Brisbane Australia on 30/01/1889.
On the marriage certificate it says James was born in Clonoutly Tipperary and his father was John McGrath (Farmer) and mother was Winnifred Connell. At the time of his wedding he was 30years old which puts him being born in 1858. He was a Senior Constable in Mt Hogan at the Etheridge Gold Fields (Queensland). I don't when or how he came to Australia.
Maria Bulter was born in Tipperary Tipperary to John Bulter (Shoemaker) and Johanna Ryan and she was 23 years old at her marriage which puts her being born in 1865. I have been told by family that she had just arrived because it must have been a shock to her to be taken way up North to a very desolate place.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James McGrath and Maria Bulter
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 20:37 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has a record of Winy Connell and John McGrath having a son called Mat in 1867:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPYR-Q6K

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 20:39 BST (UK) »

Offline merrick7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony
Catholic records will be available soon online free http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=706683.0 I have the Clogher graveyards which is in Clonoulty and the following are the McGrath records . These 5 are together
1. Erected by Thomas McGrath in memory of his father James McGrath of Doree who departed this life October 13th 1868 aged 68 yrs

2. Here lies the body of Thomas MaGrath who depd life May 7th 1810 aged 22 years. Erected by his father Philip MaGrath of Clonoulty. Patrick MaGrath died 22nd Aug 1907 aged 77 yrs. Also his mother Hanora Nee Hickey died March 1864 aged 77 yrs.

3. Here lieth the remains of Mary McGrath of Clonoulty who departed this life Febry 3rd 1836 aged 20 yrs. Also her sister Margaret who depd life Aug st 15th 1838 aged 19 yrs and his father Mr. Denis MaGrath who depd life Feb ry 1857 aged 75 yrs. Erect d by his wife Mrs Hanora MaGrath Alias Hickey. Denis McGrath died 11th Oct 1913 aged 54 yrs.

4. Erected by Mary MeGrath Alias Dwyer in memory of her husband James MeGrath of Clonoulty who dep d life December 23rd 1833 aged 37 yrs, also two of his children Patt and Mary who died young and their son Philip MeGrath who dep d life Nov br 1852 aged 27 yrs. Also Johanna Ryan Nee MeGrath who died 6th Dec br 1892 aged 82 years.

5. Here lies the body of Mr John MeGrath and children who died Nov 1783 aged 66. Also his son James MeGrath died September ye 8 1784 aged 24. Also John Ryan and his wife Johanna Nee MeGrath of Garenmore. And the children of Patrick Ryan Cloneyharp who died young.
These two together away from the others 1. Here lies the body of Edward McGrah who departed this life April 10th 1780 aged 71 yrs. 2. Here lieth the body of Mary Ryan Alias MaGrath of Garrenmore who dep d this life March the 7th 1822 aged 70 years. The last one on its own away from the rest of them.
1. Erected by William MaGrath of Coolasucane in memory of his mother Johanna MaGrath Alias Quinlan died Aug st 20th 1855 aged 42 yrs. Also his father James MaGrath died Nov 27th 1867 aged 62 yrs. Said Wm McGrath died 1913 aged 77 yrs. His wife Margaret died 1909 aged 67 yrs. His sister Bridget died 1907 aged 60 yrs. James McGrath died 16th Feb 1946 aged 72. Margaret McGrath died 19th Jan 1949 aged 31. Paul McGrath died 21st Dec 1951 aged 31. William McGrath died 27th Sept 1953 aged 33. Nora McGrath died 26th Dec 1943 aged 60 interred in Kilpatrick.

The first 5 would appear to be yours as Glensman seems to have a Philip for you. Have fun putting them together, and when you do get back to us!
P.J.

Offline Mich.C.

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 11:23 BST (UK) »
I'm wanting to get more information on James McGrath who married Maria Bulter in Brisbane Australia on 30/01/1889.
On the marriage certificate it says James was born in Clonoutly Tipperary and his father was John McGrath (Farmer) and mother was Winnifred Connell. At the time of his wedding he was 30years old which puts him being born in 1858. He was a Senior Constable in Mt Hogan at the Etheridge Gold Fields (Queensland). I don't when or how he came to Australia.
Maria Bulter was born in Tipperary Tipperary to John Bulter (Shoemaker) and Johanna Ryan and she was 23 years old at her marriage which puts her being born in 1865. I have been told by family that she had just arrived because it must have been a shock to her to be taken way up North to a very desolate place.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. I have the marriage certificate for Michael McGrath s/o John McGrath (Farmer) and Winifred Connell. Born 1859. Michael married 1906 at Charleville to Bridget McGrath [d/o Michael McGrath s/o Patrick McGrath of Laidley Qld (ex-Turraheen, Rossmore, Clonoulty). They lived at Augathella.