Author Topic: Alvah Kirkyard  (Read 3567 times)

Offline trublue

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Alvah Kirkyard
« on: Wednesday 27 May 15 05:25 BST (UK) »
I visited Scotland in 2010 and whilst there visited the Alvah Kirkyard hoping to find my ancestors . The attached photo has John Duncan (my G G Grandfather) and Ann Duncan (my G G grandmother)
and others from the family. What is puzzling is where Mina Watson fits in. Would appreciate any help.
Thank You

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Alvah Kirkyard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 06:35 BST (UK) »
Go onto Scotlands people and have a look at the mariage of Mina to John Morrison 1945 Banff. You should get the parents and witnesses.

Regards

Malky

Offline trublue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 07:27 BST (UK) »
Thank You Malky, will check it out but need to buy some more credits first.
Much appreciated for you help.
Bob

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - I couldn't see a death that matches Mina on Scotlands People and wondered whether she was Williamina :-\

There is a death on Scotlands People of a Williamina Kemp Watson in 2008 Elgin age 76 and there is also a birth of a Williamina Kemp Watson in 1931 in Banff???

Kay

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
LIBINDX has a listing of Mina K Watson, of 11 Hay Street, Elgin, who died at Spynie Hospital on 27 January 2008 aged 76. The reference is to a death announcement in the Northern Scot. You won't be able to view her birth or death certificates online as they are too recent, or for that matter the 1945 marriage which may or may not be relevant.

If I were you I would go for that 1931 birth certificate. It will tell you the address where she was born, which is probably more useful in working out who she was than where she died.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline trublue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Found the Marriage on Scotlandspeople but no image, found a Mina Watson Born Alvah/Banff 1922 which would make her 86 no image also
One of the family members married a Ian Morrison which has me thinking there could be a connection there.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
Found the Marriage on Scotlandspeople but no image
No. It's less than 75 years ago so you can't view the image online.

However, she can't be the same Mina Watson because if the one on the stone was 76 when she died in 2008, she would have been only 13 or so in 1945, which is too young to get married. So the Mina Watson whose marriage to John Morrison you can't view because it's too recent isn't the right person anyway. (Do I make myself clear?)

Born Alvah/Banff 1922 which would make her 86 no image also
No, because it's less than 100 years ago.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline trublue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
A sister to the one who married John Morrison married a George Watson