Author Topic: LOOKUP PLEASE James KIRK aka James ROWLEY Sheffield  (Read 1394 times)

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LOOKUP PLEASE James KIRK aka James ROWLEY Sheffield
« on: Thursday 28 May 15 03:51 BST (UK) »
Several years ago I discovered that my GG Grandfather James ROWLEY was transported to Van Diemen's Land late 1845. In more recent time I have been able to find information from a WAKEFIELD HOUSE OF CORRECTION prison record dated 31 May 1843 stating that he was "orphan, born at Sheffield, living with his Uncle William MARSHALL xxx cutter, top of Coal Pit Lane Sheffield". In this particular case he was convicted of stealing lead and a brass tap.

This lead me to search the 1841 census and while there were several Wm Marshall's I found nothing at the address nor a James Rowley. BUT in the past few days I've taken a subscription and viewed newspaper articles for the 1845 court case which show that James was aka KIRK. The convict records show identical reasons for his conviction so I am quite sure it is the same man. I was then able to find the MARSHALL/KIRK family living at Holly St in the Tickhill district.
James' later prison records for Tasmania names a wife Jane and siblings George and Harriet. The 1841 census certainly shows a Harriet KIRK at the same home.

While I have plenty more to look for, I am hoping that some can track down:

Any baptism for the 3 KIRK children and any indication of what happened to their parents. James was born c1823 and Harriet c1825, no idea for George as I haven't yet found anything for him.

Names and a marriage of the parents.

Why was he using the surname ROWLEY?

What was the family connection to the MARSHALL's? Was his mother nee MARSHALL or ROWLEY?

I have other questions to ask but will leave those for now. I'm fairly sure I've found his 1845 June qtr 1844 marriage as KIRK but that's for another time.

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone can help me with the early life of the KIRK children.
Compton: England (Hampshire, Surrey), Australia
Bentley: England (Lancashire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire), Australia
McGowan: NZ, Australia
Rowley: NZ, England, Australia
Salvin: NZ, England, Australia
Von Lehenner: Germany, England

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKUP PLEASE James KIRK aka James ROWLEY Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 15 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hi a nice puzzle this one and one I wish I had more time tonight to look at, I have viewed the 1841 census for James/Harriet with William Marshall  census ref HO107/1338/ 8/7 / 7 when you say you have the  possible 1845? marriage for James Kirk to a Jane do you not realise that this could be the most important document to tell you his father and possibly provide other clues?

Are you certain it was 1845 and not 1844 Sheffield with a Jane Edwards on the same page?

Oddly either their are two James Kirk's b c 1822 living in Sheffield or "Your" James has been depicted twice on seperate returns for 1841 Sheffield, the other return shows a 19 year old Jas Kirk in the same household as a Jane Edwards?
Census Ref HO107/1338/ 9/23/ 6
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 May 15 06:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Yes it was the 1844 marriage to Jane EDWARDS, I had incorrectly written 1845 in my records.

I'm having a huge amount of trouble viewing that census. When I try to look at it through Family Tree Maker linked to my Ancestry subs I can see a Jas KICH but when trying to view the page is comes up black. I can't see any Jane EDWARDS at all. If I try the same search on my ipad, neither name shows even if I use the Census ref. Weird.
Yes I see what you mean about the details of the marriage but I was hoping I could find the details elsewhere as I don't want to pay for yet another certificate if I can avoid it.

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 15 07:30 BST (UK) »
I might have found a transcript of the baptism for James KIRK.

It states born 11 May 1823, baptised 1 Oct 1823 at Sheffield St Peter & St Paul (Cathedral).
Parents named as James - occupation cutler - and Sarah, residence Sheffield.
The reason I honed in on this one is because newspaper articles from his time in New Zealand have him recalling an event around the time of his birthday. I had previously calculated it as 12 May hence thinking this baptism to be the likely one. (Though of course I know this proves nothing).

Naturally though I couldn't find the same parents for George or Harriet, nor deaths than can be proven as correct.
Nor could I find a marriage for a James KIRK to Sarah.

There was another James KIRK baptised 21 May 1823 at Sheffield, Ecclesfield St Mary giving the parents as William (a spindle maker) and Ann. It gives their residence as Woodseats, Ecclesfield.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 15 07:50 BST (UK) »
 ;D Hi again, what a difference 2 sites make of transcribing a census page, mine has Jane Edwards, but now not 100% but definitely female, aged 20 and Ancestry have her as John Ermann 26
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk