Author Topic: Census lookup  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Census lookup
« on: Thursday 28 May 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I have hit a bit of a hitch and would like to know if it is possible for someone to trace a person in the census.

Thomasine Lugg married Samuel Harvey, their marriage was registered in Penzance in the first quarter of 1863. In the 1871 census, she was a 28 year old living with her husband and two children. This would estimate her birth as 1843, she is listed as having been born (like her husband and children in St Just in Cornwall. The 1881 census just appears to list her place of birth as Cornwall in about 1844. The only Thomasine Lugg I have found who was born in around 1843/1844 was a registration of a birth for a Thomasine Lugg in the last quarter of 1843 Redruth, Cornwall.

I have a feeling that she was incorrectly recorded in the 1871 census as being born in St. Just as the only Thomasine I can find in the 1851 census who could be her was a Thomasine Lugg who as a seven year old (thus possibly born in 1844) was listed as being born in Camborne, Cornwall, which I understand would fall under Redruth as far as registration goes.

I would like to know other people's opinions on the possibility of this Thomasine and my Thomasine as being the same person. I would also like to know if anyone is able to look up to see if any names are given in her family that might link up with the names of children in my Thomasine's family.

Kind regard,

Duncan Bennie

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 May 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
mmm, thanks STG, that is definitely a possibility if it is a late baptism, that would most likely rule out the Camborne Thomasine though.

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 15 12:47 BST (UK) »
Their second son was named John Lugg Harvey, so this is very likely her, thank you for the link :)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hold that thought !

I've found the one who's the d/o of John on an 1851 census.  She and her mother are listed as Thomson on the image, but Ancestry has them both as Thornson. 

I just searched on

Thomasine Lugg b. Cornwall 1843 +/- 2 yrs, father John, mother Thomasine - and this popped up as the second listed 1851 census entry (the other one being the Cambourne one, d/o George and Mary).

Can you find her yourself now?

STG

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 May 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you STG, yes that all seems to fit nicely, I should be able to take it from their thanks :) you have been a great help :)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 May 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
... that is definitely a possibility if it is a late baptism .............

It looks as if John and Thomasina had three other children baptised the same date in 1851

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/baptisms/index.php?year_from=1851&year_to=1851&parish=&forename1=&surname1=lugg&forename2=john&forename3=thomasina&t=baptisms&bf=Search

Glad to have helped :)

STG

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 May 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
Her Siblings MARTHA/HENRY were Baptised the same day
(FreeREG)

You may have already found this by now?

Marriage;
12 July 1834, St. Berian the Virgin, St. Buryan
John LUGG of St Just
Thomasine GRENFELL
Witnesses, William Lugg/Thomas Jelbart
Notes, Bride signed with a mark. With consent of friends. Groom a sojourner.
(FreeREG)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 May 15 13:25 BST (UK) »
Children Baptised same Church as Marriage;
JANE, 13 Dec 1834
JOHN, 16 Jan 1836
ELIZABETH, 16 Jan 1839

I missed WILLIAM from the mass 1851 Baptism.

THOMASON Grenfell Baptised 24 June 1808, St Just, St Just-in-Penwith
Parents JOHN/JANE

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)