Author Topic: Old Paignton  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Paignton
« on: Thursday 28 May 15 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

I left my childhood home, Paignton, almost fifty years ago and hadn't visited in at least thirty years until a few days ago, for a family occasion. Naturally I went mooching round my old haunts in the vicinity of Lower Polsham Road and the Palace Hotel. I was sad to see that the old family home, Seacroft, on the corner of Steartfield and Norman Roads had disappeared and that only the curtain wall and gates of what was once Oldenburg House on Lower Polsham Road remain. Census returns apppear to suggest that Oldenburg was built some time before 1871, at around the same time as Steartfield, now the Palace Hotel. They also appear to bring into question the accepted wisdom that Steartfield was built for Washington Singer.

Please can anyone tell me:
1, When was Seacroft demolished?
2. Anything at all about Oldenburg House.

If anyone has an image of either which they would be prepared to share I shall be eternally grateful.

Regards,

Keith

Offline PATc3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old Paignton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 May 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Keitht,

If it is any help you may like to contact the Paignton Society (Paigntonsociety.webs.com) this was formerly the Paignton Preservation and Local History Society.  I am sure they will have some info or guide you to the info, one of their founders Peggy Parnell has written lots of books about old Paignton with lots of pics..

Good luck
Berry- Crediton, Woodbury, Ottery St Mary, Torquay
Payne -Torquay, Thatcham, Dawlish
Pedrick -Lustleigh, Drewsteignton Teign Valley
Voysey - Woodbury
Sanders - Woodbury Salterton,
Chudley -Devon
Johns -Bondleigh
Holmes -Exeter, Newton St Cyres
Keslake - Devon
Upham- Bicton & Mass. USA
Caseley -Devon
Hackett - Nenagh, Birr, Tipperary
Howell-Wexford, Wicklow
Prendergast -Wexford

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 May 15 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the contact. I'll drop them a line. I have been following Oldenburg House back through the census returns and it certainly housed some interesting charavters;  a sewing cotton manufacturer at he same time that the Singers were at Stertfield, certainly no coincidence; a retired Rear Admiral whose career I've been able to follow; a lieutenant colonel in the Indian Civil Service. I'm back to the 850s and still haven't reached its earliest days.

Thanks again,

Keith

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
I have sent a message to Paula, who runs "Paignton in pictures" on facebook and she is going to try and dig something up for you...... Fingers crossed.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 15 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. All help with this one is appreciated.

Keith

Offline Heathcliff House

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Old Paignton and Oldenburg House
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 January 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Interestingly the Manloves that lived at Oldenburg House were related to a family who lived in our house on Newton Road in 1901.  Two of the sisters ended up living in a very nice house in Ashburton.  I wondered if they came for their health!  Do you have any photographs of Oldenburg House?  If you are interested in more detailed info I can provide it.

Kind regards, Juliette

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juliette,

Thanks for joining in and welcome to Rootschat.

I would very much welcome any information you may be able to provide in respect of Oldenburg House. I'm sorry but I don't have any images of it. If anyone has them I would appreciate images of Oldenburg House, Seacroft (Norman Road) and Torbay House, which stood until about the 1880s on the Esplanade, more or less where the Vue Cinema is now.

Regards,

Keith

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Keith, did you get in touch with facebook "Paignton in Pictures"??
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I had been following P in P for some considerable time before your kind offer to contact Paula. I did send her an e-mail but from memory (and remember this was almost 3 years ago) I got a reply saying she would do what she could but I heard no more from her.

The occasional look at her page is the only reason I go anywhere near Facebook.

I have been back home three or four times since those days and have managed to buy a couple of books on the town's history but those photographs bring back so many memories.