Author Topic: Adam Murray Reid  (Read 1701 times)

Offline dobelove

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Murray Reid
« on: Thursday 28 May 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out if Adam Murray Reid returned to Scotland from the USA sometime after the 1930 census in the USA. He was listed as Arthur M Reed in the 1930 census as it has been misread. He also used Adam Reid at times and missed out the middle name Murray. He was born 6th Oct. 1862 in Cardross Scotland however he tended to make himself a bit younger on some of the census documents. He went to the USA in 1890, he was a passenger on the Columbia arriving in New York on 13th June 1890. Departure port Southampton. He married Susie F Dutcher in Manhattan 6th Sept 1908. He became a USA citizen in 1894. The 1930 census has got him down as Arthur M Reed, obviously an error. He and his wife lived at Richland Boulevard Islip Suffolk New York. He was a gardener. The records office in Islip Suffolk can find no record of his death, however, they did find an Adam Reid who died in 1932 and is buried in Larkhall cemetery Scotland.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Murray Reid
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 May 15 00:46 BST (UK) »
A public tree on ancestry has the death of an Adam Reid  4 May 1932 in  Larkhall, Lanarkshire. Occupation Iron Moulder.
He married an  Elizabeth Beveridge (1857 – 1919) 15 June 1877 so this is likely to be the man found by the records office in Islip and not your man.

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 May 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
Evidently from your other posts online, you believed Adam moved to Canada.  Did this not prove to be true?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 May 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
I seem to have lost it now, but I could have sworn I found Susie & her father in the 1940 census with Susie as a widow.

If you have a death date or burial place for Susie, it might be worth checking if Adam is mentioned in her obituary or is buried with her. 

There are some Suffolk County newspapers here:  http://apa3.olivesoftware.com/Default/Skins/Suffolk/Client.asp?Skin=Suffolk&AppName=2  and on www.fultonhistory.com, but I didn't see any obituaries for your people.  There were some references to Susie F. Reid on tax lists up to 1945.

If Adam died outside of the town of Islip, then they would not have his death record.  If you can narrow down the time from of possible death to about 5 years, there is a library that will do a look-up on the New York state death index, as described here - http://www.unyg.com/blog/index.php/2008/03/new-york-state-vital-records-microfiche-indexes-update/

Offline dobelove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 May 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Crisane, SL Stephens and Shellyesq, I did think that Adam Murray Reid had went to Canada however I found recently from the records at Islip that he arrived in New York in 1890. (I am still looking for the relative that emigrated to Canada but havn't got enough information to start with now)The 1940 census did show Susie F Dutcher as a widow and living with her was a partner called Patrick Moore born 1901 in Northern Ireland. I will follow up everyone's suggestions, so thank you all so much for that. We had thought we had found the link to Canada but it must have been Adam Murray Reid's brother or even a cousin that had went to Canada. I can't thank everyone enough for being so kind. Kind regards from Dobelove.