Author Topic: Possible Mis-Transcription of Surname on Manchester Burial Record?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Possible Mis-Transcription of Surname on Manchester Burial Record?
« on: Friday 29 May 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have spent some time this afternoon finding family burials using the Manchester City Council burials search facility on their website (for the first time!). I found rather a large number of burials, which was fantastic. However, there was one burial that left me with raised eyebrows & somewhat bemused.

The burial in question took place in the Southern Cemetery in 1916.

My gt gt grandmother Margaret Gibson's death was registered in the December qtr of 1916.

The burial took place on 10th October 1916. The thing is that on the website she's down as Margaret Wilson! I am pretty certain that this is wrong & should be Margaret Gibson.

My reason's for believing that this is the correct burial are as follows:

1. The burial date matches the quarter & year in the which the death was registered.

2. Within what appears to be the same grave (or at least with the same grave no) are Thomas Gibson (her husband (d1918), Matilda Ryan (her sister d1934) & Margaret Broadbent (her daughter d1943).

Obviously I would like to have proof in black & white as it were, that my belief is correct & that I am not just clutching at straws! ;D Anyone any ideas as to how I can obtain such proof?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Mis-Transcription of Surname on Manchester Burial Record?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 May 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
I see on that site there is the opportunity to get more information by clicking on her name, but you need credits. Alternatively why not contact them and ask if there is a way to check if the name have been transcribed incorrectly.

It does seem as if it is her as she is in the same grave as her husband, sister and daughter who died later than she did.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 May 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Thanks for that, contacting them isn't a bad idea & I will make a point of doing so! ;D

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 May 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Another pointer to it being her is that Freebmd has no Margaret Wilsons who died in that time scale, but it does have a Margaret Gibson.

Deaths Dec 1916   
Gibson    Margaret    66   
Chorlton    8c   866
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 May 15 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Yep, that was the death registration to which I referred in my OP. Although I hadn't checked to see whether there were any Margaret Wilson's registered in that time frame, so many thanks for checking that!

Kind regards

David

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 May 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
Actually wrote in the register are both names Margaret Wilson and wrote above Wilson is Gibson, so not a transcription error.

Transcription errors can be found, main reason was these registers were transcribed in India. 
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Blackburn Fossil,

Many thanks for the burial register clarification, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David