Author Topic: CRICHTON family from Markinch, Fife, Scotland  (Read 5009 times)

Offline HeidiAbbeyMoyer

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CRICHTON family from Markinch, Fife, Scotland
« on: Friday 29 May 15 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hello!  Looking for other researchers who may be tracing the Crichton family that was based in Kirkcaldy and Markinch, Fife, during the 1700s through 1854, when David Crichton (b. 12 March 1821, Markinch) and his wife, Margaret Younger (b. 1820, Edinburgh) left Scotland and sailed to Australia in 1854.

I have traced the family lines back to 1700 and even visited Kirkcaldy and Edinburgh myself just last week in fact!  Would love to exchange information and work on family lines prior to 1700.  I uncovered some interesting facts about David's parents, Alexander Crighton (b. 21 April 1757, Balcurvie, Markinch) and Isabella (Isobel) Small (b. 13 June 1779, Auchterderran) who were married in Edinburgh on 8 November 1799.

This is my husband's lineage and Alexander Crichton is his Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather.

Hope to hear from some other distant relatives!

Thanks-Heidi

Offline sidsmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Still Searching
    • View Profile
Re: CRICHTON family from Markinch, Fife, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Heidi
There are several people searching Crichton's from Markinch of who I am in contact with.
Alexander Crichton born 1757 who married Isobel Small in 1799 is my 3rd great-grandfather
Alexander married three times .. Margaret Adamson 1798.. Helen Horn.. 1780
The Crichton line goes back to George Crichton b 1700 who married Janet Campbell b 1704 on 28 Dec 1726 Markinch

Sid
SMITH.. Cellardyke, Fife, Scotland
GERRARD ..Pittenweem, St Monance, Fife
DEWAR..Kikcaldy.. Fife
CRICHTON...Fife
GRUBB .. Crail, Fife
HAMILTON .. St Andrews and St Leonards, Fife
BALFOUR, Ferry Port on Craig, Fife
WATT ..  Cellardyke
PROUDFOOT & CRAWFORD.. Torryburn Fife
EISEN   PHILLIPS, WISEMAN ..Sth Australia
CRICHTON Victoria,Aust.
WISEMAN..Barrow, Suffolk
VANT.. Yorkshire & Kent

Offline trevorp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sid

I see that a few years ago you were researching the Crightons from Markinch and refer to George Crichton b 1700 who married Janet Campbell b 1704 on 28 Dec 1726.  I have traced my own line back to this marriage and believe that George's father was Captain David Crighton born about 1687 and his mother Anna Forbes.  The Forbes ancestry is well documented and goes a very long way back.

Although various Crighton families are described in many ancient documents I cannot find any link.  Do you have any information about Captain David Crighton or his parentage?

Best regards

Trevor

Offline sidsmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Still Searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 19 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor
Sorry can't help .. I have not been able to go back any further. I did see somewhere that someone had a David Crichton & Anna Forbes being father of George Crichton b 1700 but with no proof.
George's first son was John Crichton b 1727 Markinch. If David was his father then Georges first  first son would be called David.
Regards
Sid
DEWAR..Kikcaldy.. Fife
CRICHTON...Fife
GRUBB .. Crail, Fife
WATT ..  Cellardyke
CRICHTON Victoria,Aust.
WISEMAN..Barrow, Suffolk
VANT.. Yorkshire & Kent

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 19 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Your Australian Crichton;s have any connection to the village of Longwood in Victoria?

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline sidsmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Still Searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:53 GMT (UK) »
My Crichton's start with David Crichton born 12 Mar 1821 Markinch Fife Scotland died 5 Dec 1877
Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia. Married Margaret Younger born 17 Jul 1818 Kirkcaldy Fife
Married 6 Mar 1842 Kirkcaldy Fife. Margaret died 1874. They had 5 children.
regards
Sid
DEWAR..Kikcaldy.. Fife
CRICHTON...Fife
GRUBB .. Crail, Fife
WATT ..  Cellardyke
CRICHTON Victoria,Aust.
WISEMAN..Barrow, Suffolk
VANT.. Yorkshire & Kent

Offline trevorp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 January 19 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sid
I have the following evidence:
The East Neuk of Fife- its history and antiquities - 'Robert Forbes of R. [that's Rires] whose dau. or sister Anna Forbes, md. Capt David Crichton of Lugton, a descendant of the Earl of Dumfries who acquired Rires. She had issue Robt., George b. 1700 and David.'  [Anna was actually sister of Robert.  Their father was Arthur.]
Parish record - Baptism 30 Aug 1700 'Capt David Crichton of Lugton and Anna Forbes his lady had their son George baptised'.  [Witnesses included the Laird of Rires]
Parish record - Baptism 3 Jan 1704 'David Crichton and Forbes his wife had baptised named David'
Parish record - Marriage 28 Dec, 1726 'George Crichton and Janet Campbell'
George Crichton and Janet Campbell had the following children John b. 1727, James b. 1730, George b.1732
Regards
Trevor

Offline sidsmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Still Searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor.
You missed a child ..
Helen Creighton Gender Female Christening Date 16 Mar 1735 Christening Place MARKINCH,FIFE,SCOTLAND Birth Date 09 Mar 1735 Father's Name George Creighton  Mother's Name Janet Campbel.
She married David Husband b 17 Feb 1732 Leslie, Fife, Scotland and had three children that I know of. Janet 1759, Margaret 1762, and James 1772.
When looking for Crichton it pays to look for Creighton as well
Unless I am missing something I don't seem to tie Capt. James Crichton into our tree. Would love it to be so though.
Regards
Sid
DEWAR..Kikcaldy.. Fife
CRICHTON...Fife
GRUBB .. Crail, Fife
WATT ..  Cellardyke
CRICHTON Victoria,Aust.
WISEMAN..Barrow, Suffolk
VANT.. Yorkshire & Kent

Offline trevorp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 January 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sid
Yes I missed Helen Creighton b. 16 Mar 175 but I have now found her.
I agree there is no conclusive proof of a link to Capt. David Crichton but my logic is as follows:
George Crichton who married Janet in 1726 and lived in Markinch, Fife is likely to have been born between 1690 and 1708.
Capt. David Crichton's son George was born in 1700 baptism registered in Newburn, Fife which is close by.
I cannot find trace of any other George Crichton born in Fife in this period and I thought it unlikely there would be two George Crichtons born in the same place at about the same time.
Regards
Trevor