Author Topic: Guide or information for where ancestors worked?  (Read 3740 times)

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Guide or information for where ancestors worked?
« on: Saturday 30 May 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,  i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to find out a bit more information on where my family members worked etc.

I will try to attach a map of the places where i have information that their children were born therefore i am guessing they worked in the general area?

I have marked the map by dates and numbered from first place i have a record to the last.

I am thinking maybe Blackadder house as they seem to be moving around that specific house/farm..

Also the father James Anderson is listed as a hind/hynd so i am guessing a bondaged ploughman??

He is listed as a hind for the births up to 1805 then is listed as a carter then carrier (same?).

Would that mean he became "independant"?

Does anyone know if the "big" houses in that area kept servant records? Kimmergham, blackadder, kelloe etc?

thanks in advance.
ANDERSON - Berwickshire/Selkirkshire
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline mrc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Guide or information for where ancestors worked?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
try the Heritage Hub Hawick or Scottish National Archives

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
Try the Border Family History Society or the Duns History Society for info

NB: a Hind in generally a agricultural Labourer not necessarily bonded generally hired, dependent on his status also in the Borders a ploughman is of higher status as a Hind

Census has a James Anderson 22 in 1841 at blackadder house as a groom man servant but not born in berwickshire Also a James Anderson 69 in 1841 at Kelloe bastle as a Ag Lab born in berwickshire

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi mrc and terianne, thanks for that info, i will look into it.

Terianne, i had previoulsy found information on that James Anderson in the blackadder stables, i have also found quite a lot of Andersons living within maybe only 5 kms of the Blackadder house area, what is frustrating is that with such a low population at that time, there should be a really good chance of them being from the same family, but as of yet i can't find anyone or anything to tie them together.

cheers
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
You may never find out more than you already know (and that it quite a lot compared to many of us).

If they were farm workers they may have moved from place to place for work and lived on the various farms rather than living in one location and travelling long distances to work. People generally lived and worked within walking distance. It may be that they were not working for one employer, but moved around taking whatever jobs were available in the area.

I may be wrong of course, but I think some labouring work was seasonal and itinerant.  :)

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 March 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
You may never find out more than you already know (and that it quite a lot compared to many of us).

If they were farm workers they may have moved from place to place for work and lived on the various farms rather than living in one location and travelling long distances to work. People generally lived and worked within walking distance. It may be that they were not working for one employer, but moved around taking whatever jobs were available in the area.

I may be wrong of course, but I think some labouring work was seasonal and itinerant.  :)

Thanks Ruskie, sorry for the late reply
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER