Author Topic: Catherine Morrison, Eddrachillis  (Read 6228 times)

Offline marionq

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kenneth Fleming - Canada 1925-32
    • View Profile
Catherine Morrison, Eddrachillis
« on: Sunday 31 May 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for my grandmothers sister Catherine for years and finally found her.  The problem was poor transcription on Ancestry.  This is what I now know and if anyone can add to it I would be grateful.

She married a Thomas Timmons from Ireland in Manhattan in 1898 and two of her children were living with her sister Bella Morrison in Manhattan in the 1910 census.  Their names were Edward Donald Timmons and Johanna Timmons.  Catherine may have still been alive at this stage but I cannot find them so if anyone has access to records for census or death at this period I would ask them to check on Catherine and her husband.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Morrison, Eddrachillis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 May 15 13:20 BST (UK) »

Offline marionq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 May 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Maureen.  I wonder if she died in childbirth,  so many of her siblings called their first daughters Catherine I suspected she died young.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 15 13:54 BST (UK) »
It does seem as though she did die as a result of childbirth,doesn't it:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WW1-D37

Maureen

Offline marionq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
Once again the name is wrong.  Her sister who took the children was Isabella so the baby being called Isabell is a big clue.  Thanks so much. I see Edward Donald  was called up in 1917 so may have died in WWI.

What is so surprising is that she was never talked about yet every sibling had a daughter Katie or Catherine.  Maybe it was all too painful.

Offline marionq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 June 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
After looking for more info about Catherine I can see she died at the time her daughter Isabelle was born in 1902 so I am left wondering about the following:

Edward Donald Timmons born 1899 and drafted in 1917 to WW1

Joanna Timmons born 1901 and living with Aunt Bella Morrison in 1910 census, Manhattan

Isabelle Timmons born 1902, Manhattan

These three children born to Catherine before she died have never been known in our family in Scotland.  Did they die young?  Did their father marry again and they lost touch with Aunt Bella.  What happened to her after 1910? The  Morrison girls habitually gave their ages as five years younger than it really was and the name Timmons is often written in forms as other things such as Timmins, Timmony etc.  If anyone has info I would love to add it to the family history

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 June 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
I think this must be Bella:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W29-VZ7

Johanna and Edward are with her in 1915 but only Edward in 1920 (and 1930).

Maureen

Offline marionq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 June 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
How interesting.  She must have gotten married late in life.  Her mother's name was Johan Fraser so that is quite a fanciful version.  I am very grateful to you Maureen.  I would never have spotted this.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Marion: Was Catherine's mother Johan Fraser (1846-1900) from the village of Badcall? She was married to Donald Morrison and seems to be the only burial in Eddrachillis where the names match the Family Search record.