Author Topic: Coastguard - Isle of White 1820's  (Read 5026 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coastguard - Isle of White 1820's
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 June 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Wow, Martin, thank you so much for all that information.

I have a worldwide subscription to Findmypast and it has been invaluable in finding out numerous history from both mine and my husbands family, but I have never been able to pick up as much detail as you have.

I found a newspaper article about Henry being awarded the Baltic medal but that was all, no other information.

I think there is perhaps a lot of information I am not accessing on Findmypast.

Thank you so much again for that information.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 June 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
Mary

Glad the info was of interest, but not all came from FindMyPast. For Coastguards the Establishment Books that are available as free downloads from the National Archives website are invaluable, these are in the ADM 175 series of documents. As to the Baltic Medal I have been constructing a database of all 2600 CG men who served in the navy, using the medal rolls, ship's description books, seamen's tickets and establishment books to confirm as many as possible.

Martin

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don`t know if you already have this:

On 2nd June, 1846 a Charles Newbury Clements, Mariner married a Jane Frances  Constance at St. Nicholas Yarmouth.  His father was named as Charles Clements Coastguard H M Service. 

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12308-200269-17?cc=1416598

You will see one of the witnesses was an Emily Clements and I can only find this one in the 1841 census in Norfolk.  Trouble is I can`t find either of them later.  I have now :)

1841 census
Caister, Yarmouth
Sarah Clements, 50, Not born in County
Emily Clements, 12, Not born in County
HO107/765/1 Folio 10 Page 13

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
I did find Charles N Clements, born Seaford 1819, who subsequently served on the Revenue Cruiser Royal Charlotte in Yarmouth, but could make no positive connection to Charles Snr, so well done mosiefish!

Martin

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
I think this is Sarah in 1861- I can`t find her in 1851 as yet.
Caister
Widows Home
Sarah Clements, Head, Wid, 75, Dover Kent
RG9/1195 Folio 6 page 5

The registration for Caister was Flegg and there is a death registered in March Quarter, 1867 for a Sarah Clements aged 80.  Volume 4b page 23.

Meanwhile I believe that Emily popped up to Northumberland and married a David Clark on 25th June, 1855.

St Peters, Wallsend
David Clark, 26, Bachelor, Labourer father James Clark Labourer
Emily Clements, 23 (hmm), Spinster, father Charles Clements Boatman
Witnesses:  William Rassmason and Mary Ann Gray

The 1861 has them in Walker Northumberland
David Clark, Head, Mar, 31, Waterman , Norfolk Saxlingham
Emily, Wife, Mar, 29, Essex Walton

Walton tying in nicely with where father Charles was posted in 1828. 

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
Mo, that's amazing. Thank you so much.

How on earth did you find all that out.  I had found the Sarah and Emily 1841 census entry after Martin posted about Caister yesterday but that's as far as I could take it on the the Find my Past entries.

This has helped so much building my husbands family history.  Until recently we knew nothing as his mum died when he was 4,  she was an only child and his grandparents died when he was really young, so,this has literally opened the door to one half of his family history we knew nothing about.  It's such a fascinating family history too.

Once again, thank you so much to,you and Marting for finding out this information.

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 May 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm probably not in the correct area but I have been clutching at straws and googling which has led me here.
My 3 x great grandfather, Thomas Williams, was born in Weymouth, Dorset about 1791. He and his wife Mary (Russell) had eight children, all born in Weymouth except the youngest (William Henry b 1840 - my 2 x ggf) who was born in Hull.
1841 census shows the family living in Hull and occupation of Thomas is shown as Customs Boat.
1851 census shows Thomas still living in Hull with his second wife, Elizabeth, her two sons and his son William Henry - (first wife Mary died in 1847) - occupation of Thomas is shown as 1st class weighman in her majesty's customs.  I haven't been able to find marriage details for Thomas and Mary in the Dorset area and because Mary died before 1851 I'm not sure where she was actually born.  I was pretty much at a brick wall.  Then..........after about seven million google attempts  :o I found information relating to 'Retired Allowances for Superannuation' parliamentary papers.  It was under the heading COWES Isle of Wight and showed a Thomas Williams, Chief  Boatman in the preventing boat at St Ives - Treasury Letter, 25th February 1819 - received 32 pounds  - he had been in the service five years - the payment was for the loss of a hand, a consequence of the execution of his duty which was 'to board and rummage ships and to guard the coast against smugglers'.  I'm not sure if this is my 'Thomas Williams' - I have checked the Genuki coastguard site but he wasn't there.  I'm not sure where to go from here and I sincerely appreciate any help/tips/advice etc.  I'm in Australia so I'm not really sure about the distances and if it is feasable to think someone born in Dorset could go to Cowes and end up in Hull.  Sorry to ramble on......
Regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 May 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,
I'd advise starting a new thread as you are talking about customs officials rather than coastguard, a separate service.

Others here will know more, but customs records are at the National Archives in Kew and staff and pay lists and appointment books are arranged so that it is feasible to follow an individual's career with a bit of research. You might find someone here who is willing to look up the references for you!

It is very possible to move around the outports in the way suggested - my great great grandfather was a customs officer in Cardigan, Wales, before moving to Northern Ireland and then Bristol in SW England.

All the best,
Rob

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 May 16 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps Rob, I have taken your advice - I was a bit confused ......
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge