Author Topic: Matthews Ancestry in County Louth  (Read 3860 times)

Offline gomatt01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthews Ancestry in County Louth
« on: Monday 01 June 15 02:01 BST (UK) »
Looking for Matthews descendants in County Louth who might be interested in DNA testing for genealogy. My test results give reason to suspect that my Matthews family could have originated there in Louth, and I'd love to hear from any of you, or those of you who are descended from the Matthews in Louth.

Best regards,
Gerry Matthews

Offline alphonsus123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Matthews Ancestry in County Louth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:21 GMT (UK) »
so very weird this post as my name is Alphonsus Gerard Matthews and my family were from Dundalk , and as for myself I was born in Greenore county Louth in 1949,

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Matthews Ancestry in County Louth
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I came to this board today to find out about my possible ancestor, Cathan Mathews.

She was the mother of my great, great grandmother Bridget Ward, who was baptised on 15th June 1823 in Kilsaran, Louth, Ireland.  This baptism is listed in the Catholic Parish Registers 1809-1826.  Spouse James Ward, child Bridget Ward.

I have up to now not been able to find out much at all about Bridget Ward, who married in Manchester, England to Thomas Greenwood.  Bridget's half brother and sister lived with them in Manchester, Betsy Ward born 1828 in Ireland and John Ward born 1837 in Ireland.  After the 1851 census when my great grandfather Hiram Greenwood was four years old, I can't trace either Thomas or Bridget, but Hiram re-appears at the age of 24 on the 1871 census in Salford with a (Irish born) wife and young children.

I have in another thread, long ago, asked about this family and other people on this board are far better than me at finding records, and I remember somebody telling me that Betsy and John Ward were Bridget Ward's half siblings.  I assume that means they were James Ward's children, so Cathan Mathews must have died some time between Bridget's birth in 1823 and Betsy Ward's birth in 1828.  Also, James Ward must have re-married.