Author Topic: Searching for John Pick  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Searching for John Pick
« on: Monday 01 June 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am searching for John Pick born in Ireland c1755. By 1778 he was living in Market Overton, Rutland, England where he married 18-year-old Elizabeth Baker on 9th February that year. I believe him to be the father of my William Pick who lived in Saltby, Leicestershire, at one time and married a Frances Allen (Who I believe to be Fanny Allen of Saltby, the younger daughter of Robert Allen and Frances Simpson. Fanny was christened as that, but her older sister Frances had died at two years of age and I think that Fanny may have been using her dead sister's name.) in Scalford, Leicestershire, although their first son Thomas was born in Saltby.William spent the rest of his life in Scalford marrying twice more after Frances died in 1826.
I would just like to trace this family back to their Irish roots if possible.
Thanks for reading.  :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for John Pick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 June 15 12:31 BST (UK) »
Without a link to a county the lack of records at that time will hinder your search

However PICK is an unusual name and I am aware of it in Cork at the end of the 1700s as there was a Huguenot Mayor of the city of that name - from the French PIQUE

There are a few baptisms on line at www.irishgenealogy.ie in Dublin in the 1700s
and on www.rootsireland.ie including a spelling variations PICKE, PYKE and PEAK
These are not extensive as the records do not necessarily still exist
and those that do are not all transcribed

By the 1901 there are only
11 people shown as PICK in Kilkenny and Tipperary;
1 as PICKE in Dublin;
62 as PYKE across several counties;

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for John Pick
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying myluck!, it rather seems as though my family history will end with the Irish ancestors who came across to England as I have not found any information regarding the county or town they came from. I do know that one lot, Not the Picks, were definitely Irish travellers possibly fairground folk. It is also possible that John Pick may be descended from the travelling community too as a number of his descendants were marine stores dealers although I do appreciate that this occupation was not exclusively a traveller occupation.
Thanks again  :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.