Author Topic: PIERCE From Vermont & Massachusetts  (Read 2971 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
PIERCE From Vermont & Massachusetts
« on: Monday 01 June 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My husband's great great grandfather, Reuel A. (likely for Anson) PIERCE, was b. around 1805 somewhere in Vermont, USA. I have no family or exact place of birth for him.

About 1830, Reuel migrated to Upper Canada (now Ontario) with at least 2 other Vermont based families, the SMITHs and RHODES. They all settled in Fitzroy Twp., Carleton County which is near Ottawa. In looking at the SMITH and RHODES families, I learned they had Massachusetts roots. I am thinking that our PIERCEs came from there too.

I have found the SMITH family in Williston Twp., Chittendon County, Vermont before going to Canada. Possibly our PIERCEs were there too, pre 1830?

Reuel PIERCE's daughter, my husband's great grandmother, married William HARRIS in Canada in 1874. My husband has taken a DNA test for his paternal HARRIS line. Wondering if this test can be expanded to pull in any PIERCE connections? Would love to connect to whatever PIERCE line my husband is from.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PIERCE From Vermont & Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Piercej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 18 02:20 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of Reuel Anson Pierce.  His son Nathaniel, is my great grandfather.  My Grandfather is John Anson Pierce.  My father is John Henry Pierce.  My family was not aware of our American roots so it was interesting to see your information. 

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 March 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Piercej!

Great to hear from you. Yes, it has taken a long time to get anywhere with my husband's Pierce line in the U.S. You and Ron (my husband) would be 3rd cousins, I believe. You too would likely be a 9th cousin to George W. Bush (his mother is a Pierce), and also connected to 14th U.S. President Franklin Pierce. Fascinating stuff. Are you in Ontario, or in western Canada as some other descendants of Nathaniel seem to be?

Mary
in Ontario
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Piercej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  Our family that descended from Henry Nathaniel Pierce are mostly in British Columbia and Alberta.

Offline VB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 October 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of Reuel Anson Pierce born 1805 in Vermont USA.
Henry Nathanial Pierce is also my great grandfather.
My grandmother is Sarah Pierce.

My records could be wrong but I show
John Erin Pierce born 1770 in Maine and died 1851 also in Maine
I show John as Reuel's father.
His mother as Margaret Boyd born 1776 and died 1854 in Maine