Author Topic: Which Newspaper? (1954 Obituary)  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Which Newspaper? (1954 Obituary)
« on: Tuesday 02 June 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
I'm still trying to find an Obituary for:

George Rees, of 43 High Street, CLYDACH, who Died, aged 85yrs, on the  20 April 1954.

I have now found a Probate Entry for him, but would still like to find a Newspaper Obituary if possible.

Does anyone on here know which are the most likely papers to check?

Many thanks,
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Newspaper? (1954 Obituary)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 22:13 BST (UK) »

I've now downloaded the copy of George Rees' Will dated 1954 that I ordered.

Unfortunately it doesn't tell me anything that I didn't already know... His children are only mentioned by first name, and no addresses are given.

I'm guessing that if there was an Obituary, it would have been in 'The South Wales Post'. I now know his date of death to be the 29th April 1954, and so I would expect any Obituary to be during the first week of May 1954.

If anyone on here is able to check that out for me, I would be very grateful.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly.

Purely by chance I hope to be in the library tomorrow and - all being well - will have a look in the South Wales Evening Post.

Bernard

Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 15 09:53 BST (UK) »

Many Thanks Bernard, - that's very kind of you.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 15 19:24 BST (UK) »
Doh! Looked at 20 April onwards for a week as per your first post without noticing you corrected the death date later. So I didn't find him today - but will look for 29 April+ when next down at the library. Next week or the one after I hope.

Sorry for that! 

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 15 20:26 BST (UK) »

So sorry for any confusion Bernard:-(

And Thank you so much for looking.

The reason for the differing dates... is that the Probate Entry for George REES gave a date of Death as 20th April 1954. However, when I ordered and downloaded a copy of his Will, it gave the date of Death as the 29th April 1954. Hence the disparity between my posts, - Apologies!

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 June 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
No problem - I should have read it all...

Bernard

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
Managed to get back into the library today and I'm afraid there was no sign of the chap you are looking for in the South Wales Evening Post death notices up to the middle of May 1954.

Did he leave a widow? What was her name?

Bernard

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 August 15 10:03 BST (UK) »

Thank you so much for looking Bernard.

Perhaps Newspaper Obituaries had gone out of vogue in Swansea in 1954? ::)

George Rees was Married to Sarah Ann, but she must have predeceased him, because she isn't mentioned in his Will. His Will divides his assets mainly between his children Ivor, Olwen and Margaret, - (although he leaves £10.00 each to his sons Glyn and Evan). Ivor is his sole executor.

George Rees was my Great Uncle. I was hoping that any Obituary might give more info on his children, - addresses, married names, offspring, etc... I'm trying to follow through that side of my Father's family, but it's difficult... as there are so many Rees's in Swansea(!)

Thanks again for looking,
Romilly.
Researching: