Author Topic: Mary Minshull  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Mimbyjim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Minshull
« on: Tuesday 02 June 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
Mary (possibly daughter of John Minshull of chester) born approx 1684 married Thomas Tagg of Chester in 1708.     Can anyone help please with any information about either Mary and her ancestors or Thomas and his?           

I do know that Mary the daughter of Mary Minshull and Thomas Tagg married Jonathan Brayne of Cheshire.

Philippa     

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Minshull
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Philippa,
A quick check of the burial index for Cheshire indicates that Mary MINSHULL was probably baptised at St John, Chester. The Cheshire Family History Society may very well be able to help you.
www.fhsc.org.uk
I couldn't tie down a parish for Thomas TAGG though.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Mimbyjim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 00:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Victor - I have found the marriage in 1708 at St Mary on the Hill, Chester and says Thomas Tagg of St Michaels in the City of Chester,  Mary, daughter of John of the city of Chester and the baptisms of son Thomas 1710 and daughter Mary 1717 were at St Michaels.      I will try the Chester Family History Society as you suggest  - it would be nice to get a bit further back!    Thomas was a lawyer apparently.   Philippa

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
There is a Family Tree on Ancestry for a Thomas Tagg. This appears to be the same person as you have married to Mary Minshull.

I am always guarded about information on these trees as it can often prove to be incorrect. I will outline the details anyway and you may be able to check these for yourself.

Thomas Tagg born c1688, Chester. The year of birth is based on his age at marriage which was 20 years. He would have been a minor and parental consent would have been required.

Thomas is shown as having married twice. He died in Acton, near Nantwich in 1751 and is buried in Acton, Nantwich. The burial took place on 27 March 1751. Since there is a burial of a Thomas Tagg in St Michael's, Chester, in 1734, I would be wary of the burial in Acton.

The tree shows 7 children born to Thomas Tagg and they appear to have been baptised at St Mary, Chester. These include the baptisms of Thomas and Mary which you have given.

There are 5 other baptisms shown in the names of Tagg Check.

There are other baptisms on the Cheshire Parish Register Database in Chester St Mary, which suggest they were children of Thomas Tagg. These were as follows:

Elizabeth Tagg, D/O Thomas Tagg, 01/05/1718. Details sate that Thomas was an Attorney, Gentleman of Church Street.
Anne Tagg, d/o Thomas Tagg, on 23/07/1719. Abode: Church Street.
Elizabeth Tagg, D/O Thomas Tagg, 23/11/1720. Details state: Occupation: Gent. "At ye Churchgate".
Eleanor Tagg, D/O Thomas and Mary Tagg, 08/04/1722. Details state: Occupation Gentleman, "At Ye Churchgate".
James Tag, S/O Thomas and Mary Tagg, 29/03/1724. Details state: Occupation Gentleman. "At ye Church gate".

There is information which suggests Thomas Tagg was a Freeman of The City of Chester.

On Ancestry there are some details about taxes paid for Apprentices and there are a number of entries for Thomas Tagg. These may be worth checking out.

I don't know if the marriage of Thomas Tagg and Mary Minshull was By Banns, or By Licence. It would be an idea to see which of these it was as either way parental consent would have been required if either party was a minor. The fathers' names may be shown on the bond.

Jo.

Offline Mimbyjim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 15 05:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo for the extra childrens' births - I haven;t had much luck with IGI which is where I have been looking for cheshire marriage allegations but I have found on the internet an ebook  -   Genealogical & Heraldic History of the Extinct & Dormant Baronetcies by Burke in 1841 which gives a lot of information!  I presume it is correct so will try to double check it. Unfortunately it doesn;t give a lot of dates and I can;t print the pages.     Lucky people in UK who can go to the archives. NZ is a bit far away.      Thanks again  Philippa 

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Philippa,

There should be information available on these families in the Cheshire Record Office. You might also find some details in the Chester History and Heritage Centre:

http://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/residents/leisure,_parks_and_events/history_and_heritage/chester_history_and_heritage.aspx

This covers the City of Chester and anything to do with people, buildings and places within it.

There is The Family History Society of Cheshire:

https://www.fhsc.org.uk/

I live too far away from Chester to volunteer to help at the archives but there are people on this site who visit regularly and do offer help to those who live some distance away. You could put a post asking for look ups there.

Jo.