Author Topic: Braunston, Rutland, WAKEFIELD marriage please  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Valerie1945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Braunston, Rutland, WAKEFIELD marriage please
« on: Tuesday 02 June 15 15:53 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the parish records that would cover a Braunston marriage? I am searching for an 1834 marriage of Thomas WAKEFIELD to Catherine BILLSON. in 1841 they are living in Braunston but by 1851 are in York Township (now Toronto) in Ontario, Canada with 7 children. Thomas was an Ag Lab!  :)

Catherine may well be the daughter of John and Mary Billston who live nearby. No idea about Thomas Wakefield though.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading, Val

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Braunston, Rutland, WAKEFIELD marriage please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Val

Welcome to rootschat  :)

From familysearch
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNPZ-K8M

Could this be Thomas's baptism
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N1XL-J8M
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Ancestry have the Bishops Transcripts for Braunston as part of their Northamptonshire Baptisms.  There is a Thomas Wakefield baptised 10 Oct 1813 to William and Ann at Braunston, a labourer.  This is confirmed also by the Leicester & Rutland FHS transcript CD which have seven other children to William and Ann baptised between 1808 and 1823 at Braunston.  William was buried in Braunston in 1825 aged 55 years.  Ann appears to have remarried to Richard Billson, also a widower, in Braunston in 1827.

William Wakefield of Braunston married Ann Dixon at Brooke on 11 Feb 1806.

You can purchase copies of the Leicester & Rutland FHS transcripts - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fek/.  There are four individual CDs covering different periods and different parishes, but they now also have a much cheaper DVD covering all the transcripts for the county.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Valerie1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie,
Thank you so much for all the Wakefield and Billson information you have posted in response to my enquiry this afternoon. Really fast too!

Thomas married into my McLean family (from Tiree, Argyll) and had another two children with his second wife - also a Catherine. He died in 1875 after contributing to a sturdy Wakefield tree in his hew country of Canada.

Many thanks for all your help.
Val

Offline Valerie1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Smudwhisk  :) !!
Many thanks for going the extra mile in finding me not just information on Thomas but also his parents. I don't see too well these days and so am especially appreciative of the efforts of others on my behalf. I added to Rosie's reply email a little of what I know about Thomas and his descendants. His children included a William and an Ann which is nice too.
Many, many thanks, Val

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 June 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Can confirm from Braunston PR's ma is 3/3/1834 by Banns and bp of Thomas is 10/10/1813 s/o William &Ann
Could the following be his siblings all are children of William and Ann of Braunston and the dates fit nicely :
Joseph bp 8/10/1815
Benjamin bp 12/10/1817 (married Sarah Carter 24/11/1828 Braunston)
Hannah bp 10/9/1820
Henry 25/12/1823
Thses appear to be his children all bp Braunston:
Ann bp 1/11/1835
Elizabeth bp 23/7/1837
Mary bp 26/5/1839
Hope this helps.
DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area

Offline Valerie1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 June 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forte - that rounds of the picture nicely. I wonder if anyone else went to Canada too? Emigrants usually had a friend or relative as a travelling companion and helpmeet. Being a pioneer in Ontario was quite a challenge.

Thank you Rutland researchers for all your help. :)

Val