Author Topic: Thomas and Elizabeth SYKES  (Read 7514 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Thomas and Elizabeth SYKES
« on: Thursday 04 June 15 05:08 BST (UK) »
I have asked for help about this family before, but was hoping someone might have some fresh ideas. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=695295.0

I'm looking for Thomas Sykes (born approx 1795) and Elizabeth who had 4 children baptised at Witcham: Edward (1817), Anthony (1818), Lucy (1821) and Thomas (1824). Elizabeth seems to disappear and Anthony (sorry, meant Thomas) has more children baptised with Ann : James (1827), George (1829), William (1831), Henry (1834), John (1836, died 1836) and another John (1838). In 1841 Thomas and Ann are at Witcham with Lucy and subsequent children. Thomas Sykes dies in 1846 aged 51 and Ann marries Phillip Papworth in 1849. In 1851 Ann and Philip are in Witcham with his 2 previous children (William and Samuel) and now 13 yr old John Sykes.

Ann's father was Anthony Catton, horse farrier (possibly died 1812 Willingham) according to her marriage to Philip Papworth.

There is another Thomas Sykes (born Elsworth) and Ann Cann who marry in Willingham in 1816, but I don't think this is the same family as they appear to be in the 1851 census in Huntingdonshire.

Where was Thomas Sykes born and to whom? Who was Elizabeth? Is she the same person as Ann? Were Thomas, Elizabeth, Ann married at all? How can I find out any more about Thomas and Elizabeth in particular? I'm stumped!

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Elizabeth SYKES
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 15 07:02 BST (UK) »
As we said on the other thread, a lot of vital events seem to be missing, which I always think is suspicious:

- marriage of Thomas and Elizabeth c1816
- death of Elizabeth 1824-27
- marriage of Thomas Sykes and Ann Catton c1827

Were Elizabeth and Ann the same person? Possibly.  Is the marriage of Thomas Sykes and Ann Cann in Willingham in 1816 an error and should be Catton? I can well imagine that Catton spoken in a yokel Cambridgeshire accent could easily be misheard as Cann. You need to check the parish register to see if it might be a transcription error and to see if the witnesses provide a clue. A bit of a coincidence that the Anthony Catton burial that was found was also in Willingham. I don't believe in coincidences.

The traditional naming pattern was that the second son was named after its mother's father. Thomas and Elizabeth's second son was named Anthony, pointing to her father being Anthony.

You say that the Thomas Sykes living in Huntingdon St John, born Elsworth, in 1851 is the one who married in Willingham. Is there any evidence for this? I disagree, as I am wont to do in matters genealogical! I think he's more likely to be the Thomas Sykes who married Ann Hitchcraft at Huntingdon All Saints & St John in 1821. I think the marriage in Willingham between Thomas Sykes and Ann Cann is probably the right one, with Catton being mangled in the translation. I also think that Elizabeth/Ann are probably one and the same.

Of course I can't prove any of it. It's just speculation. You need to check Willingham microfiche to start with - if you're really lucky it might give a parish of residence for Thomas - followed by the Huntingdon All Saints & St John parish register.

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply and thoughts David. I was wondering about the Cann/Catton possible error, especially when I found Anthony Catton's burial in Willingham. Will go back and check for any Ann/Elizabeth Cann/Catton ... records.

You're probably right about the Thomas Sykes Ann Hitchcraft marriage. In any case, I think the Thomas Sykes born in Elsworth about the same time is not my Thomas, but don't know why I can't find a birth for him.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 15 13:31 BST (UK) »
Baptism Elsworth 22 Sep 1799 Thomas Sykes son of Robert & Rebecca
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 June 15 14:30 BST (UK) »
The Willingham PRs (on fiche) say that both Ann and Thomas were botp-both of this parish.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 04:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks anneb, although I guess that doesn't mean they were born in Willingham, only resident there for the required time before marriage, but it's a help.

If you have the Willingham fiche, and if it covers pre 1800 baptisms, would it be possible to see if there are any likely baptisms for Thomas Sykes, Ann/Elizabeth Cann/Catton around 1795-1800, or Anthony Catton around 1742?

Many thanks again.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 04:39 BST (UK) »
Baptism Elsworth 22 Sep 1799 Thomas Sykes son of Robert & Rebecca

Thanks David, yes I've seen the records for the Elsworth Sykes. It's the other Thomas I can't find.  ???

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 05:01 BST (UK) »
Looking at some of Thomas Sykes's children's families I came across the name Levett COLLIN (in various spellings) - Thomas' son William's son was named Levett Collin SYKES and appears as 'nephew' in the 1881 Wicham census with Levett COLLIN who I traced through the various census as being born around 1806 at Mepal. There is a Levett COLLIN baptised in 1806 at Stretham to Margaret and John MARTIN (not sure why he doesn't have the surname of the father?), and another Levett COLLINS family at Cottenham baptising children from 1802 - 1820, although none of the children are named Levett that I can see.

Is the similarity of the name COLLIN and CATTON worth persuing I wonder? I can't seem to make the connection with the SYKES family.

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
No baptisms for Thomas Sykes or Anthony Catton. There was an Elizabeth Cane d of Robert and Sarah baptised 10th October 1785. An Ann Cain d of Ann on 16th Aug 1794, an Anna Catherine Cann d of Rebecca on 16th Jan 1797, Ann Cann d of Rebecca on 8th October 1798 and Anne Cane d of Anne on 15th December 1798.
Probably not much help.