Author Topic: Thomas and Elizabeth SYKES  (Read 7552 times)

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Elizabeth SYKES
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 18 November 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
A bit more on Ann Sykes: By 1851 census  Thomas has died and Ann has married Philip Papworth at Witcham.
John Sykes, son of T & A is present as son in law aged 13 born Witcham. Ann is born Willingham aged 54. George 23 is with Adam Barker and Elizabeth Hitch. Henry is a lodger in Witcham.
Now Ann Catherine Cann could be 16 Jan 1797 Willingham mother Rebecca Cann. No father but..
When Ann married Philip Papworth 10 July 1849 she is a Widow born Willingham and father stated as Anthony CATTON. Witnesses Thomas Poole and Elizabeth Hitch.
Willingham is 9 miles from Witcham.
Thomas Sykes died at Witcham 25 Jan 1846 aged 51. So born c. 1795.

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 November 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
So I think Thomas Sykes was:
Born c 1795 Witcham
Baptism 29 Sep 1799 at Elsworth Father Robert Mother Rebecca  -late baptism?
Elsworth is about 13 miles from Witcham
Died Witcham 25 Jan 1846.
Ann remarried Philip Papworth 10 Jul 1849
1851 census Thomas is dead and his son John 13 is living with mother Ann Papworth.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 November 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fenboy and Mark, I've had the terrible 2107 flu so haven't been at my computer for a while. Feeling better now, so catching up on rootschat!

It's been a while since I've looked at this family, but agree with you Fenboy about what happens after Thomas SYKES died and Ann marrying Philip PAPWORTH. Still not convinced about Thomas being the son of Robert SYKES of Elsworth though, (see reply #1 on this thread).

I always had a suspicion that Levett COLLIN (born c1801 Mepal) is somehow related to this family. He appears in the censuses and is easy to follow with his wife Mary (mis-noted as "Jane" in the 1851 census). I think Levett COLLIN married Mary TAYLOR 31 July 1825 in Stretham. At various times they have nephew Levett Collin SYKES (born Sep qtr Ely to William SYKES and Elizabeth BROWN) and niece Mary Elizabeth SYKES (born Jun qtr 1854 to William SYKES and ElLizabeth BROWN) with them. William SYKES is brother to Anthony SYKES and son of Thomas and Ann. Whilst I still have no proof, I'm pretty convinced that Ann CATTON is a mis-transcription/mis-hearing of Ann COLLIN, and is probably sister of Levett COLLIN.

Still doesn't help with the Elizabeth/Ann mystery, but I live in hope that something will turn up one day.  ;)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 19 November 17 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry ... I have so many notes about this family and I keep going round in circles. Reading my notes further, I think I changed my mind about the Levett COLLIN connection - and decided he is quite likely related to the Elizabeth BROWN who married William SYKES, though again I can't find the proof. Elizabeth appears with Levett and Mary COLLIN in the 1841 and 1851 census as "niece", so I think it's probably more likely her children Levett Collin SYKES and Mary Elizabeth SYKES are related to Levett COLLIN through her. (Or possibly to both?) Hope that makes sense.

Any other contributions most welcome!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 19 November 17 02:44 GMT (UK) »
There was also this marriage which I thought was interesting:

Anthony CATTON (wid) of Willingham married Elizabeth SOMERLIN (wid) of Holywell on 25 December 1784 at St John the BAptist Holywell-cum-Needingworth. Witnesses were Thomas SANSOM and John HULL. Both signed with an "X".

Offline MS62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 November 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddys52 , Fenboy
I too agree that the parents of Thomas are not Robert and Rebekah from Elsworth as the previous post discusses also was Thomas born in Witcham ? I have no conclusive proof of this (maybe I'm missing something) regarding his death and Anne's second marriage to a Papworth this all fits .
Regarding Levett Collin Sykes he was the son of William Sykes (brother of Anthony ) and Elizabeth Brown from Downham , I would guess and it is only a guess that Elizabeth Browns mothers maiden name was Collin/Collins/Collen , my maternal great grandmother was a Collins from Littleport not that far from Downham or could be Little Downham which is even closer to Witcham , my uncle was Collin Audus because his grandmother my great grandmother was Ellen Collins (lots of different spellings of this name) .
Very interesting the marriage of an Anthony Catton and Elizabeth Somerlin in Hollywell , just across the river from Willingham and the dates fit for Ann/Elizabeth Catton are they her parents? Needs more investigation .
All good stuff thanks Mark , glad your feeling better Maddys52

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mark, yes I thought that marriage was interesting too - shame I couldn't find any other records that might relate to either of them. They were both widowed, but can't see any suitable burials for spouses; can't find any baptisms of possible children; can't see a burial for Elizabeth SYKES (SOMERLIN).

You could be right about the Levett COLLIN. I haven't had much luck with Elizabeth BROWN’s parents - on her marriage it says father John BROWN (labourer), but there are a couple of Elizabeth's born around the right time in Downham with father John, and neither of the mother's had maiden name COLLIN. I think I left it in a too hard basket when I did my initial research, maybe time to get back to it!

And no, I don't think I have any records that say Thomas was born in Witcham, his children were baptised there, but he could have come from anywhere - the 1841 census says born in county, ie Cambridgeshire.