Author Topic: Anna Maria HALE  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Joanne0669

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anna Maria HALE
« on: Thursday 04 June 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I was hoping to get some help with a brick wall I have. My third great grandfather, James Hale remarried in1869 I believe but his new wife died within 6 months of their marriage. I've been trying to find out her name etc for almost 2 years now.

Last week I discovered the newly launched Jersey Archives online and found a testament for a Anna Maria Hale of Aquila Rd, St Helier, Jersey written in 1869. I ordered a copy which I received today hoping it would confirm that she was in fact married to my ancestor and secondly hoping to discover her maiden name. It confirmed that she was married to James Hale as everything was left to him but I want to find out more such as the date they were married, more about her death and her maiden name.

Can anyone help me or least steer me in the right direction? Visiting the archives is out of the question as I live in Australia.

Thank you!

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Maria HALE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne

I will be passing the Registry Office tomorrow so will call in and do the lookup for you.

Stewart

Offline Joanne0669

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 15 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Stewart! That would be absolutely wonderful!

Kind Regards,
Joanne

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne

Anna Maria Hale's death is indexed under St. Helier deaths, May 1868 to Jun 1869, volume 20, page 93.

She died at 50 minutes past midnight on 28th Aug 1869 at Aquilla Road. She is recorded as Anna Marie Callow, wife of James Hale and was 44 years 5 months old. Her death is recorded as "inflammation des poumons" which would be inflammation of the lungs. James Hale was present at her death.

I looked for a possible marriage around 1869 but could not find one and had to stop as someone wanted to get married!! I will look further next week and expand the search.

Stewart

Offline Joanne0669

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 June 15 03:28 BST (UK) »
Wow...thank you so much Stewart!

I finally know her full name and cause of death  ;D Thank you!

With her name I was able to find her in the England & Wales National Probate Calendar on Ancestry. Her estate was valued under 450 pounds...do you think that would have been wealthy for that point in time?

Now to find out where she came from originally!

Thanks again Stewart...looking forward to seeing if you find anything further next week.

Joanne

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne

Well, this is turning out to be quite interesting. Progress so far....

Went and looked for a Hale/Callow marriage this morning but couldn't find one between 1861 and 1871. I searched on Hale which in retrospect was the wrong thing to do!

A search of the cemeteries came up with Ref: 1439, In Almorah Cemetery, Anna Maria Callow, wife of James Hall, died 28th Aug 1869, buried 31st Aug 1869. She was 44 years 5 months. The service was conducted by "Brethren of Plymouth" (I've not seen that before). She is buried in plot 26/15/F.

However, Sinnetts Funeral Directors records have her as the wife of James Hale.

Armed with this new information of her husband being possibly James Hall, I searched the marriage records for a Callow.

In St. Helier Registrar Index, Jul 1866 to Oct 1870, page 72, is a marriage for Anna Maria Callow and on the same page is James Hall.

I will follow up after a lookup of the marriage certificate.

Seems there is confusion as to what James's surname is although it may just he had a strong accent and it was transcribed incorrectly. I am also told that there were a number of Plymouth Brethren who worked as oyster fishermen at that time.

Stewart

Offline Joanne0669

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Wow...you've made some real progress...thank you!

James Hale was the master of the British & Foreign School at 20 Aquila Rd however he did have connections to the Plymouth Brethren according to my ancestors. Up until now I haven't been able to prove that connection. He was originally from the Isle of Wight so wondering if that could account for the misspelling/accent.

The plot number at Almorah given is also where his first wife was buried in 1866 and his daughter Georgina in 1873...definitely sounds like my James Hale!

Exciting...I'm doing a little happy dance!!!! Thank you Stewart!

Cheers
Joanne

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne

They were married 13th Jul 1869. James Hale was 45 years old, a widower and gave his occupation as schoolmaster. He was living in Aquila Road. Born in Cowes, Isle of Wight, his father was James Hale, a farmer. I can see why his name has been transcribed as Hall as the "e" is very loopy! However at the bottom of the certificate it clearly states Hale.

Anna Maria Callow was 44 years old, a spinster living in Stopford Road, St. Helier. No occupation was stated. She was born in St. Giles, Camberwell. Her father was John Callow, an auctioneer.

Witnesses were John Crocker and Anne Vynne(?).

You can see the family living in Spittal Street, Dartford in the 1851 census. Ref HO107, piece 1607, folio 458, page   7.

Stewart

Offline Joanne0669

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Stewart...you've done a wonderful job and helped me out immensely. This piece of the Hale puzzle has been unresolved for so many years.

A big thank you from the bottom of my heart  ;D

Joanne