Author Topic: Pensylvania sisters (orphans)  (Read 8117 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pensylvania sisters (orphans)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 June 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
Yes she says Nurse at her marriage?   According to ages given when they married Josephine is just short of 21 when she married in 1926, so she was the youngest,  Anna is 25 in 1929 when she married, so a 1904 birth date and Anna 1906? for Josephine.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 June 15 18:09 BST (UK) »
This death of an infant in 1902, a daughter "Georgie" to John and Mary (Sh?t?ck? - indexed Shestock), parents from "Austria", may be relevant. Address "13 Irwin Ave"?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16555-21276-24?cc=1810412

Around this time (1906) there was a Frank "Schustic" at "2812 Edwards ay" - one of the few traces of this spelling in the area I can find - might be worth checking up on him?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 June 15 18:37 BST (UK) »
Yes I would say that's the family, so the lost a daughter.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 June 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
She appears to be buried at Calvary cemetery according to that, which would suggest the family are Catholic.
Possibly the girls were at St. Paul's R.C. Orphan Asylum which was in Chartiers?

Here is where you'd need to ask for records for St Pauls:
http://diopitt.org/office-archives-and-record-center/information-genealogists
Orphanage Records
We have orphanage records from St. Paul's Orphanage, St. Joseph's Orphanage, and Holy Family Institute.  Information in these records consists of the child's name, date of admission, and date of departure.  Other information that may be included are father's and mother's first and last names; correspondence; grades; medical records; whether Baptism, First Communion, or Confirmation were administered and when and where; and reason for placement.

By search-scamming on the free indexes at Ancestry, I found that there was a John Shustic, parents John and Annie, b. about 1864, d. 1906

I also tried to look up any probate and the nearest thing I could find was this.
"Jusefa Szotek", "M" (minor?), "Frank Szotek, Gdn" (Guardian?)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28782-705-55?cc=1999196&wc=9PMF-T3L:268499101,270443101

Could this be "Josephine"?
vol 28 / page 240 / book 6

Which refers to here, and another cross reference
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28782-28102-88?cc=1999196&wc=9PMN-ZNP:268499101,280384701
docket: OC, vol 158, page 513, no 201, Nov 1905 - guardian appointed?

Unfortunately

Pittsburgh directories (http://digital.library.pitt.edu/p/pitttextdir/ )show, in addition to the 1906 at 2812 Edwards
1909: Szostek Frank mill wkr 1809 Fox
1912: Shustik Frank lab 1809 Fox
1913: Schrostic Frank lab 1809 Fox
1914: Chostik Frank lab 1809 Fox
1915: Kostek Frank lab 1809 Fox
1916: Szotek Frank, lab, h 1809 Fox

I think these may all the same person, with varying levels of errors added between him giving his name and it getting printed (there may be more entries, I found these by searching on the address and it's OCR not manual transcription).

Perhaps if we could find this man in 1910 that might clear something up. Anybody know how to search the US census by address?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 June 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
Possibly the girls were at St. Paul's R.C. Orphan Asylum which was in Chartiers?

That's the name of the institution given at the top of the 1920 census.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 June 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
As for searching the census by address, www.stevemorse.org was usually a good resource for finding the enumeration district of a specific address, but it looks like it's offline at the moment.

I was trying to look for people in the city directories that were close to the 1809 Fox St. address.  I found a Charles P. Metzler at 1808 Fox St. and Frank Pociernicki at 1811 Fox St. in the 1910 census, but I'm not seeing 1809 on any immediate pages. 

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 June 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
Since this kicked off with me asking about the sisters, the grand-daughter has stirred up some relatives and somebody who knows more.  I still have no idea what happened to the parents, but the father was Schustic an Orthodox Jew, and the mother Drusheski who's family were strict Roman Catholics, the name change of the mother to Dreska had something to do with the different faiths.  As I type this the parents faiths might have been the other way around, but you'll understand how things were 100 years ago with mixed faith marriages etc.

So hold fire until I find out just what's going to come from this new source.  Almost all that you guys found has been proved to be right, you can't have too many details to confirm fact.  So thanks to you yet again.  Cheers Fred.

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania sisters (orphans)
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 June 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
OK this is the last bit of info that's come my way, please don't go out of your way searching.
John Schustic(k) born Slovakia was electrocuted in a coal mining accident before 1910.  Wife Mary (Marie) remarried soon after but her new husband couldn't afford to take on the children or didn't want too, so the youngest children Anna and Josephine were put in an orphanage.  There may have been older children?  One name that was mentioned is Stella (Estella?)

That's all there is, there's no record of arrival in the US that stands out, so no date of arrival, and no definite place of birth for the girls.  Were they actually born Pennsylvania?  It seems they may have arrived after the 1900 census, with the children?  father died after birth of youngest daughter 1906, the family broke up and the mother remarried.  And all that's left is the story.  Thank you for the time and effort.  Fred

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 June 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry there's a death record for a John Shustic in 1906 in Allegheny, PA - have you checked him out?