Author Topic: Sweeny family Brooklyn New York  (Read 4591 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sweeny family Brooklyn New York
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 June 15 06:06 BST (UK) »
From the Brooklyn NY Daily Eagle of 1891 (looks to be 28-29 March), in a report of the Surrogate's Court:

"Letters of guardianship of the person of ..."

This is followed by a long list of guardianship grants, then concluding:

...; of Ellen and Francis Sweeney to Ellen Kennedy.

Edited to add: This is possibly supporting the idea of a life event around 1890 whereby Ellen / Helen C. Sweeney and Francis Sweeney maybe lost their mother. Who might have been Elizabeth / Mary Sweeney as in the 1889 / 1891 street directories?

I do not know how this ties in to Francis Sweeney and Bridget Kennedy.

Offline gerrycass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 June 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
Gaffy many thanks. This information fits nicely into my information. I know from Helen and Franks death certs that their mothers names was Bridget. I have been informed that Bridget is also a form of Elizabeth. Bridget (Elizabeth) was married to a Frank Sweeny. I cannot find any death record for Bridget (Elizabeth) or her husband Frank. I think from the information so far it looks like Bridget died after 1889 so 1890 seems correct.

Again many thanks for all your help every little piece is useful

Gerry   

Offline gerrycass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the help so far. I now have just received a death cert for Bridget Sweeney ne Kennedy. I now just need one more piece of information and this part of my tree will be complete. How can I get a birth cert for either Helen C Sweeney who died in 30th March 1935 in New York aged 58. Helen was a retired school teacher of 264 Classon ave.  Father Francis Sweeney and  Mother Bridget Kennedy. How can I obtain a birth certificate?.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
There are some birth records on www.familysearch.org, but I didn't see a likely match for her. 

The New York City Municipal Archives holds birth records from that era - http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/archives/genealogy.shtml 

Another option is, if you have a Family History Center near you, you could order the microfilms of the Brooklyn birth index - https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/55812?availability=Family%20History%20Library - and Brooklyn birth certificates - https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/199947?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline gerrycass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shellyesq, unfortunately the Sweeny family had no known off spring so this side of the family ended with Helen. She did have a younger brother Frank but he died young and never married and a spinster aunt Ellen Kennedy who also died in New York. I do have death records for them all but birth and a marriage record for their parents are unattainable. I hope to visit New York some day and spend a few days in a final search.