Author Topic: Rocks family  (Read 12665 times)

Offline ericachierchio

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rocks family
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 August 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors who came from northern Ireland, believed to be from Armagh or Galway . I will list those ancestors:

-Owen Rock b. abt 1800 5-/+.  Married Bridget.
Had a son name Patrick Rock. Born in 1835 and married a Mary/Maria Henry.

-Patrick and Maria made their way to Jersey City, NJ USA and had many children:
-Mary Rock born 1857
-Catherine Rock born 1863
-William Rock born 1864 (married Katie/Kate/Catherine, Fallon)
-James Rock born 1868
-Owen Rock born 1870
-Anna Rock born 1874 (married William Wolters)
-John Rock born 1876

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 03 August 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Erica,
Interesting but none of this connects with my family tree.
Mine is Simon Rock b. 1796 married Anne Burke with children
1826 Ellen
1832 Anne
1835 James
1840 Margaret
1842 Peter
1845 Patrick
1847 Mary
1851 Edward

Patrick b. 1845 was my wife great-grandfather

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 August 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Further searching makes me believe that Simon Rocks may have had brothers Bernard, James and John. Also, sisters Mary Anne, Maragaret and Sarah Rose. These names have all been sponsors on Simon Rocks children birth registrations. Finally,  one of Bernard Rocks children was sponsored by Simon Rocks. Is this a lead?

Offline Pbanor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 August 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, the post regards a paternal g/ father been a Micheal Rocks, Can I ask you did this Micheal register the death of his father (which would be your great grandfather) if so your g/father was my uncle, brother of my mother, regards

Offline paddyarmagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 31 August 17 12:57 BST (UK) »

... However it looks like 'Corr' might have been 'Carr', for a Mary Carr of Granemore married John Rocks of Ballyheridan in Ballymacnab RC Church in 1912, her father was Michael Carr, a farmer, his was James Rocks, a labourer:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1912/09926/5608522.pdf

Into more speculative territory now.  A possibility just to note for the John Rocks who married Mary Corr/Carr in 1912 is this one born at Hazel Hill to James Rocks and Mary Kernaghan in 1880:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02865/2049476.pdf

The parents James Rocks (father John, a labourer) and Mary Kernaghan a.k.a. Kernan (father John, a labourer) were married on 9 December 1874 in Armagh RC Church, their address was Ballynahone. 

Again just within the realms of possibility and so just to note until ruled in or out, this could be Mary (Anne) Corr, born in 1889 to parents Michael Corr and Elizabeth Anne Hughes:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1889/02488/1922985.pdf

The parents Michael Corr (father Francis, a farmer) and Anne Hughes (father James, a farmer) were married on 3 August 1875 in Derrynoose RC Church, he was from 'Ferlagh', she from Granemore.

Thanks you very much.  That is my granddad. He was my Bernard (Benny) and not Benjamin - my mistake. Thanks for the information.

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 September 17 07:00 BST (UK) »
I wanted to mention that one of Patrick Rocks brother Edward b. 1851 married a lady called Mary Valleley, maybe you are connected?