Author Topic: 'Court', 'Felin Cwrt' and 'Cwrt Mill', Llangeler  (Read 2690 times)

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Court', 'Felin Cwrt' and 'Cwrt Mill', Llangeler
« on: Thursday 04 June 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi my GGG Grandfather Daniel Jones, Llangeler was a Llangeler mason, born around 1804 Llangeler.

His address at time of marriage in 1828 was Cwrt Mill, which as i understand it, is in Cwrt Newydd (near Llangeler)?

Now naturally, I want to find Daniels fathers name. He is sadly not given on the marriage record, but in the baptisms for 1804 there is a 'Daniel son of David and Mary John' (aka Jones). Looking promising.

Now I found a grave today in Llangeler churchyard for 'David (1773-1845) and Mary Jones (1776-1866) Felin Cwrt (translation - Cwrt Mill), so names, address match up and dates very possible. Not bad.

But also, one of the witnesses of the marriage was a David Jones, 'Court'...

So could this witness at the marriage also be Daniels father? Where is 'Court' and is it the same place as Cwrt Mill? and also, can a father be a witness to a marriage back then?

Thanks. :)

Offline LindaGregory152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 'Court', 'Felin Cwrt' and 'Cwrt Mill', Llangeler
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 17 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just seen your post from a couple of years ago. Daniel Jones is also my 3x great grandfather! I have only just started researching this branch of my tree and had come up with the same questions as you, so I am afraid I am not offering any solutions at this point, but will let you know what I find.  I was intrigued that you had visited the graveyard at Llangeler and the monumental inscription is very interesting indeed. Do you have a photo of it? if so, I would love to see it. My great grandfather was Samuel Jones b1859 (son of Daniel's son John). He was a stonemason, innkeeper of the Lamb Inn and choirmaster at St James church which he, according to family legend, helped to build.
Are you on Ancestry by any chance? My tree is on there and I would be happy to share it with you.

Update: Just found this website which might explain the John surname changing to Jones, but may make it difficult to trace further back! http://www.amlwchhistory.co.uk/newdata/welshsurnames.htm

Look forward to your reply  :)
Gregory, Elliott, Bray, Widdicombe, Warren, Honeywell, Haddy: Brixham/South Devon
Jones: Llangeler
Edmonds, Fort(t), Epton, Taylor: South Petherton/Martock Somerset
Valentine, Edwards, Jones: Cardiganshire (Ysbty Ystwyth, Llanbadarn Fawr), Llanidloes, Penrhiwceiber
Richards, Griffiths, Arthur: Tenby/Pembrokeshire

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 May 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,
Yes I do have a photo of the grave its not very good though, so I will have to transcribe the text for you to see too (camera phone at the time was not very good, moss on gravestone etc).

I have been busy over the last 2 years with work so have not done anything further with this branch of my tree unfortunately. I did find a baptism record for 1804 Llangeler - Daniel son of David and Mary John (surname would fit for the time).

Another member of this part of the family has contacted me too, a branch moved to Aberdare. I am still local-ish by the way. Where did your branch move to?

Feel free to message me for the pics

Steve

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 May 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
Also I am not sure how it ties in but my grandsmothers great uncle Tom used to live at the Lamb so It must have stayed within the family somehow? I descend from Daniels daughter Anna (sister to your Samuel, I guess)  who settled at Llanarth.

The book Hanes Plwyfi Llangeler a Phenboyr was written by a member of the family too.