Author Topic: george pickup born grain barn shuttleworth Lancs 1703 deied 1792  (Read 3246 times)

Offline pickupapotter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
george pickup born grain barn shuttleworth Lancs 1703 deied 1792
« on: Saturday 06 June 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi does anyone know if  Edmund and George sons of George Pickup above got married and had any children ?
Also if anyone knows if Edmund Pickup and Alice Hopwood who married at St Chads in Rochdale 1692 were the parents of above George Pickup as some of the children seemed namless on baptism records but it seems he named his twin children after them  (Edmund and Alice pickup) born 26 March 1747 abode ffacit baptised Edenfield Chapel Lancashire
Maybe they were grandparents?
Anymore info on the Pickups and his wife who I believe was Margaret Kay gratefully received as I'd love to make sense of them, so many with same names its a nightmare  :)
many thanks

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: george pickup born grain barn shuttleworth Lancs 1703 deied 1792
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 02:34 BST (UK) »
Use this website

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

First page 3rd line down it say "You may click here " Click on the high lighted purple click

Next page

Enter surname 'Pickup' (leave first name box blank)

Enter the Father name ( 'Edmund) in the box (leave mother name blank)

Set event box to baptisms

Leave year and other boxes blank.

press search

------------------------------------

The Edmund Pickup and Alice Hopwood who married at St Chads in Rochdale 1692

The next page that comes up after pressing search

Scroll down to 1693 unnamed child of Edmund Pickup baptised Rochdale

From this date 1693 there are 2 Edmund's families producing siblings -one at Chad Rochdale (Yours you mention) and another at Leyland

Scroll down to  Robert son of Edmund Pickup of Chad Rochdale 1710

The are other siblings baptised to this Edmund between 1693 and 1710 but all Rochdale and NO George
----------------------------------------------

George Burial aged 90 1793 - died Dec  1792 Bury parish Est born 1792/3

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JC4T-KLK

only one George baptised  1702/3

Baptism: 7 Mar 1702/3 St Michael, Kirkham, Lancashire, England
George Pickop - fil (son of ) Arthur Pickop & Jennet
     Abode: Freckleton

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline pickupapotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for your reply, and your help.
  It seems a long way away and I've not come across an Arthur in the family.
This doesn't mean its not right, but I know a lot of records didn't survive as some children are buried but no sign of a baptism, and not all churches have put records online yet as more are being added.
It was mostly, George,Abraham,John,Edmund,James and Robert.
For girls its been Betty,Alice,Mary,Sarah, Martha and Jane.
I have recently heard that someone has gone way back in the Pickup family to Knights in 1000
If you come across this please get in touch. :)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 15 07:43 BST (UK) »
You have raised a few points,

First Infants who died or still born pre 1837 .

If they were not baptised, but could be buried with a first name (Even a still born) or named on a graves headstone, they would be recorded in the parish register burials, gravebook or the Sexton book. or visa versa baptised with a name but not recorded as a burial or put in the PR as one named entry of baptised and then buried in the same day. Thus anything is possible but other than recording a name of the late infant in the tree, the knowing of the infant existence is of little use to ancestry research.

The An*estry.com trees (or other online trees) that go back beyond the year 1538 the start of parish registers. Only the very wealthy families keep records of dates of birth or burial with some marriages recorded in endowment deeds and a lot of these tree records stem from LDS having to go back 6 generations in the Mormon religion well before 1538 which led to allsorts of fantasy being invented in Family search submission entries. Take these with a pinch of salt.

Ancestry trees are famously notorious for being know to be wrong !!!!!  ;D

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline pickupapotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 15 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm
thank you for your help and info
I don't know who has done the history so far back or how they did.
It was just a friend who was talking to someone who told her she had gone back to knights of 1000.
I've asked my friend if she sees her again to give her my email address to get in touch with me and hopefully the connection is there, fingers crossed.
It sounds like its before 1066 and I've not seen any mention anywhere and obviously they were de knighted by the time the domesday book was wrote.
On one of the surname websites it says they held a family seat in Lancashire from early times,
I don't know how reliable they are.
I do know there is a place near Darwen Lancashire called pickup bank where I thought the ancestors originated and where named after that, as people were named after places or trades amongst other things.
But if they did have a family seat that would be very interesting. 8)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 July 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
As the turf accountant (horse/greyhound race bookie) said to his clerk,- never mind the mind the number of winners you're having to payout today, look at the faces of losers leaving the shop. I know which punters will be back tomorrow.

As long as there are factual records not creative art of the ancestry authors pen or his reasoning. and the 1000 trees with wrong info ! but being so many trees is thought it must be right as the forest gets bigger by 1 more tree. -  ;D

Good luck anyway.

:)

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 July 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

At the moment I am working on a George Pickup born abt 1780 in or around the Rochdale area - I have the names Abraham in the tree also -
However the are what appears to be numerous Pickups around the same area and timescale and there are several which would fit -

I dont know if there would be knights of this particular name as I have never heard of it , as I understand that the name is of Anglo Saxon origin and is derived from the area known as Pickup bank - so i would take what the friend of the friend says with a pinch of salt - unless he has concrete evidence by way of deeds/doomsday book/ rather than just copying on-line trees that other people have created from past (and now often outdated) resources.

I will have a look again as I am currently also helping a friend who also had a George Pickup from Shuttleworth , so there may well be a connection -

I am struggling with a current George b 1780, other trees have him as the son of an Abraham born in Graen Barn Bury

Offline pickupapotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
hi Shirley
did your George marry Ann Ramsbottom and have an Abraham, Mary, Sarah and Martha
He died in 1844 and Ann died in 1840 both are buried in Hope street Baptist in Rochdale.
I know the name is a nightmare with most of the children with same names as possible cousins

Offline pickupapotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi  Forgot to say no Knights in the Pickup Clan, sorry folks
My friend was mistaken it was her friends husbands side, but still weird the pickup badge has a knight in armour on it thou.
I'm still trying to make the connection to the Pickup bank as I also saw that's got to be were they originate from, but they didn't venture too far, most of them, living close by each other most of the time.