Author Topic: Research assistance?  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Driver442

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Research assistance?
« on: Saturday 06 June 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone.
I am a newbie, so apologies if this is in the wrong location.

It appears I need to locate some records that can only be found at the London Met. Archives. I have tried to request a search by the LMA but they have not replied to my emails.
I no longer live in the UK so cannot go there in person.

My intention was to ask for a recommendation of anyone local who will conduct such searches, as I haven't a clue who to turn to.
My interest is with the Calendar of Convictions for January 1889, and Nov/Dec of 1888.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Research assistance?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 June 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hello there

I can't help with your request, but I can welcome you to Rootschat, and wish you well with your searches. It's a very helpful and friendly site, and if someone possibly can help, I'm sure they will.

Mike

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 June 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
And another welcome from me. I can't help with your request, but if you are able to provide a name and exactly what you are looking for, I am sure someone will have a suggestion.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 June 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
HI,

Welcome to RootsChat from me to.

Think you would probably benefit more if you put your request on the London and Middlesex board.  There are volunteers on that board who do go to the LMC and they might be able to get you the info you require.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 June 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, and welcome!

It’s unusual for LMA not to acknowledge receipt of enquiries. The Enquiry Service can take up to 10 working days to reply – did you wait that long?

Which court calendar are you interested in? Middlesex Sessions or City of London? If you can post more details of what you’re looking for, someone here may be able to advise.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 June 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'll be going next Saturday so if you post the details, I'll see what I can do
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Driver442

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 June 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all for a kind welcome.

I did not want to post too many details being new to the forum, what I need may involve considerable time. If I knew how the Calendar of Convictions was compiled I may be able to provide more info.
All I know, from a secondary source, is that this person appeared at Worship Street Court in January 1889. This appearance is said to provide clues to previous court appearances elsewhere.

I do have a couple of questions.
Do the Court records for Worship Street Court exist for 1888/9 anywhere?

If not, is there a published source, ie; local newspaper, which regularly covered proceedings at Worship Street for the period in queston?

Finally, do the Calendar of Convictions include Depositions of the trial, or is this a separate series of volumes?

Offline Driver442

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 June 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, and welcome!
Thankyou.

It’s unusual for LMA not to acknowledge receipt of enquiries. The Enquiry Service can take up to 10 working days to reply – did you wait that long?
I did receive a brief note with a reference number, but I do not know what I am supposed to do with that.
There was no reply to my request, maybe a few more days.

Which court calendar are you interested in? Middlesex Sessions or City of London? If you can post more details of what you’re looking for, someone here may be able to advise.

The Courts that I know of where he appeared are Worship Street and at Barnet in north London.
So perhaps Middlesex Sessions?
I suspect he was sent to either Holloway or Pentonville, but that is a guess.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 June 15 20:19 BST (UK) »
Do you have access to ancestry.com (apparently it is free this weekend) as on there they have

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892

from which you may gleam some data that could help speed up any subsequent search at LMA.

It was common for local newspapers at the time to cover court cases if they were "of interest". You could do a search of the British Newspapers Archives online to see if it brings up the name\case you are looking for, although not all newspapers are covered (it is a work in progress)

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.