Author Topic: Northumberland and Durham FHS Look Up, please  (Read 17394 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland and Durham FHS Look Up, please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 June 15 10:37 BST (UK) »
Gosh I was so interested in your reply SelDen that I  excitedly knocked the power cable out and the screen went black!

You are perfectly right about her name recorded as Ann Wandlass there on John and Thomas' baptisms, I had completely forgotten her maiden name  was on those baptisms. Thank you for reminding me. The boys both appear aged 7 on the 1841 Census and given same baptismal date - I assume the first set of twins. Could be wrong.

The first son was baptised James Pringle in 1832 at Holy Trinity, Embleton. Abode: Newton Fa: Hind. He was buried at St Lawrence, Warkworth in 1839.

Then John and Thomas as found in 1833. * Thomas only death not found.

George born 13 Jan 1836 in either Stamford, Embleton or Amble. *George only baptism not found. Died at Sea.

William 1838 is the first child baptised at St Lawrence, Warkworth and all following children baptised there. (He is my great-great-great grandfather). His daughter Eleanor Ann came to Queensland, and then Newcastle, NSW.

Margaret and Mary 1840.  Recorded as twins on baptism. Same birth registration period. Both died in childhood.

James 1842.

Robert 1844.  Died in infancy.

Robert 1845. Migrated to Newcastle, NSW.

Adam and Margaret Ann baptised same day in 1847 and same birth registration period.  Adam migrated to Newcastle, NSW and Margaret Ann to Virginia, USA.

Luke born 1850 and died 1951 at 101 years of age. Migrated to NSW and then was a pioneer of Murgon, Queensland.

Eleanor 1852.

I have access to all of those genealogy sites SelDen.  Most interesting in regards to Jane Donaldson being a witness to John Pringle and Ann Wanless marriage. The Wanless Web one name study is superb.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 June 15 22:32 BST (UK) »

The baptism entry for two of her sons refers to her as Ann Wandlass (the register follows the Scottish practice of referring to married women by their original names). That is, Thomas and John were baptised 4 Nov 1833 in the Belford United Presbyterian Church (previously United Secession). Father John Pringle, Hind and mother Ann Wandlass, abode Buckton, Kyloe parish.

Two other children with Wandless mothers were baptised in this church in 1832 - one of these couples also living in Buckton (Robert Donaldson & Elaner Wandlass) which iseems like a big coincidence given its size. If you have access to FindMyPast or Ancestry or the Genealogist you will be able to access these.
[/quote]

I have found Robert and Eleanor (Ellenor) Donaldson on the 1841 Census in Alnwick along with children Thomas, Ellenor and Elizabeth. Next-door is Margaret Wanless, a widow, aged 75. Both Margaret and Eleanor Snr died before the 1851 Census, so I do not know where they are born other than it says in county for 1841.

Eleanor birth year about 1806. Margaret about 1762. Per burials at Alnwick on Free Reg. Both of Green Batt.

Robert and Eleanor's 1827 marriage under Embleton:
http://www.wanlessweb.org/blog/research/england/marriages-3/marriages-2/#Embleton
Witnesses: William Wanless and Michael Donaldson
The Jane Donaldson who witnessed the Wanless/Pringle marriage may be unrelated as I imagine  this surname to be very common this close to Scotland.

Was the other Wandless baptism for 1832 on the non-conformist baptisms that looks like Mary Landless and John Hall parents?

Thank you.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 07:29 BST (UK) »

Was the other Wandless baptism for 1832 on the non-conformist baptisms that looks like Mary Landless and John Hall parents?

Thank you.
[/quote]
I have had another look & that must have been the one I was thinking of, but I don't know why, as it clearly looks like Landless. Sorry about that. I was working on my tablet, which frequently destroys any partially completed post when I try and swap tabs, and didn't have access to pen & paper.

Great news about finding Eleanor Donaldson, and such a pity both she and Margaret died before 1851. At least you have approximate birth years. Maybe it will prove to be a useful piece of the puzzle.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 08:10 BST (UK) »
This may be related to one of the Alnwick burials you found?

At Alnwick, on the 23rd inst [September] aged 86 Margaret widow of Mr Thomas Wanless, blacksmith
Newcastle Guardian & Tyne Mercury 30 Sep 1848

And also came across a death notice for Mr Thomas Wanless, teacher who died at Warkworth on 25 May in the Newcastle Journal, 1 June 1844, just in case it is of interest.

And Eleanor Donaldson:

At Alnwick - on the 23rd inst [September] 1849 aged 43 Eleanor, wife of Mr Robert Donaldson, husbandman
Newcastle Courant, 28 September 1849

One more:

At Amble on the 3rd inst [February] aged 90 much respected Mr Thomas Wandless, late of Alnwick
Newcastle Guardian & Tyne Mercury 10 Feb 1849

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
I think you could be on the right track with both Ann and Eleanor living in Buckton within 1832-1833, per childrens' non-conformist baptismal records. Looking at traditional Scottish naming patterns - and which I imagine they followed, the names  and birth order of the Pringle children make sense:

1.James after father's father
2.Thomas after mother's father
3.John after father
1.Margaret after mother's mother
2.Mary after father's mother
3.Margaret "Ann" for mother (and deceased sibling)

The last daughter Eleanor b. 1852 (also known as Ellen), I imagine is named for her Aunt.  She was the only girl born after Eleanor Donaldson's death.

I believe the two Thomas' death notices relate to the Winlass/Wandlass/Wanless clan.  Pretty sure the younger Thomas is Thomas and Isabella's son ??? ??? ??? and the older man Thomas (the Shepherd). Many thanks for your interest so far. It is much appreciated :) I will see if I can dig up anything else!

You would imagine William Wanless (a witness of Eleanor and Robert's wedding) is her brother. A marriage for Margaret and Thomas (the blacksmith) would be good. Hope the born in County bit for her was correct!

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 23:02 BST (UK) »
The missing bits from the marriage entry are of no great value I'm afraid but the record reads -

John Pringle of the parish of Bamburgh Bachelor and Ann Wanless of this parish Spinster.  By banns.  Married with consent of parents and guardians.

I wouldn't put much store in the 'consent of parents and guardians' bit as this particular vicar has completed this section on every marriage though occasionally he writes 'with consent of friends'. 

As far as Ann's baptism is concerned I can only tell you where she isn't because I didn't find many references to Wanless (of whatever spelling).  I looked 10 years either side of 1808.  She is not in Embleton or Wooler C of E records nor is she in Cheviot Street or Tower Hill Presbyterian records for Wooler.  Selden has already ruled out Wooler West.  I checked out the index to the transcription of Norham Presbyterian without any luck but I did find a Wanless in Lowick Presbyterian.  However they had a daughter called Agnes born in 1808.

There was, however, a fair number of Pringles in Wooler Presbyterian both for Cheviot St. and Tower Hill.

I was always taught that elimination is as important as verification though personally I don't believe it  ;D  Sorry not to have been of help but if you think of anywhere else to look please ask.

Christine

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 June 15 09:15 BST (UK) »
If I was looking for an Ann, I wouldn't necessarily turn my nose up at an Agnes  :) They are sometimes used as variants (google for any of the main name variant listings).

Do you remember the names of the parents in Lowick Presbyterian, Christine?

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 June 15 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Gosh you two are so helpful.  Not turning my nose up at Agnes, when Adam Pringle migrated to New South Wales in 1876 it says his parents are John and Agnes in Northumberland. Brother Luke in the Colony.

Adam had a daughter Agnes Ann and his two brothers who also came to Australia used the name Agnes as either a Christian or middle name for their own daughters.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 June 15 09:28 BST (UK) »
It's a bit out of the way for your locations, but for what it is worth I could see no Wanless (& variants) baptisms in Berwick High Meeting House baptisms for 10 years either side of 1810.