Author Topic: McLaughlin Porthaw Buncrana and Where is The Rock Donegal  (Read 3852 times)

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McLaughlin Porthaw Buncrana and Where is The Rock Donegal
« on: Sunday 07 June 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find out anything of Hannah McLaughlin who died Derry 31 Aug 1867 aged about 35. The proprietor of the grave is a James McLaughiin of Porthaw Buncrana.

I have no idea of their relationship and, although Hannah was buried in a Carton family grave I can't find her connection with them.

Can anyone help?

Also, a number of Carton family members have places of birth or living The Rock. Can anyone help me locate this area? On all family records that I have seen so far not one specifies if The Rock is in Derry or Donegal somewhere.

Jacqui
McAnee/McAneigh, McLaughlin, Carton/McCartney, McSorley, Ruxton, Weir/deVere, Flood, Lennon, Phibbs, Ormsby

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLaughlin Porthaw Buncrana and Where is The Rock Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
See previous post:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=381366.msg2552618#msg2552618

Edited to say that "The Rock" is a common name and the above link is just one possibility.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 June 15 18:09 BST (UK) »
Here is a record of a James McLaughlin being married to Matilda Carton:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPY6-PMT

Common enough names but might be a possibility.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 June 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
Looking at the GRONI site, I don’t see a Hannah McLaughlin death on 31.8.1867 regd in Londonderry. However there was an Annie McL aged 28 who died on that date. Annie and Hannah are interchangeable, so I’d guess that’s her. The death certificate should tell you her marital status, address etc and the informant’s details might be helpful. You can view the certificate on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

(You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2 to a view a certificate).

Elwyn

Offline martinmcmenamin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquai i have a bit of info about Mclaughlins of Porthaw Buncrana , the father was Neil McLaughlin and mother  Rose o donnell , i believe a daughter Ellen mclaughlin married john joseph Carton in long tower derry in april 1857 they had children peter ,susan, william john and mary (They were born in derry but william john was born back in buncrana, hannah buried in the carton grave maybe a sister of this ellen mclaughlin carton and James mclaughlin who owned the grave.Another sister Margaret mclaughlin married an edward mcmenamin of lisnakelly in 1865 he was from nearby at lisnakelly and was a great grand uncle of mine.Margaret and edward moved to new york.Ellen mclaughlin carton died in derry she may be buried in the carton grave you found with hannah mclaughlin probably her sister, Martin -email address removed by moderator, please use the private message function should you wish to exchange private information

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 July 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Thank you so much for this. Although it is the Carton family I am primarily interested in, it has been a great help.

Do you know anything of the Carton family?

All the best

Jacqui
McAnee/McAneigh, McLaughlin, Carton/McCartney, McSorley, Ruxton, Weir/deVere, Flood, Lennon, Phibbs, Ormsby

Offline martinmcmenamin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 July 15 16:18 BST (UK) »
The Carton family seem to have been stone masons ,John Joseph ( his name changed from John to Joseph) is in the 1901 census for derry(londonderry) 1901 and 1911 he was in the Nazareth house in bishop st in 1911 census ,i  think he died in derry in 1928 and is buried in city cemetery aged 87 . I am interested in the Carton grave with Hannah mclaughlin interred in it do you think you could send me the details of it at  and i will try and find out more about the Carton family , thanks Martin

email address removed by moderator, should you wish to exchange email please use the private message function

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Can you PM your email and I will send the grave details

Jacqui